Time to catch stripers

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Time to catch stripers

Postby pikefinder12 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 am

Is it better to try to catch them in the morning and/or at night cause I havent had any luck during the middle of the day. I am fishing in ct below a dam and there are plenty of stripers and at the right time salmon too. I walk out in my waiters and make about 250 cast and still don't catch anything and I don't think it's the lures im using but the time day. Any suggestions?
pikefinder12

Re: Time to catch stripers

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 am

Id be willing to bet the Stripers you are targeting are residential ones..The big migration hasnt really started yet.. I did here of one bumker school that moved up the coast over the last couple days.. You still have another week or two my friend, before you can legitimately target them up your way.. The bite is just picking up here in NJ and they are all small 20"-33"..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Anglermanagment » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 am

CT. rivers have been very hot lately. Me and my buddy have been catching a lot of nice early season fish. These larger fish are most likely holdovers, like JR said. Majority of the fish have been caught on pencils/spooks and swim shads. The fish have been in large schools, so if your not hooking up in the first few minutes keep moving.

On the other hand. The schoolie fishing has started in RI. These fish are migratory.

Don't forget to buy your license. $80 for us non residents. OUCH!
Anglermanagment

Postby pikefinder12 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 am

yea my buddy had caught 14 strips the other day the bigest was 18 lbs. I went down there 2 days ago and casted my freakin arm off and from 6 till dark and only made off with a couple hits. There was alot of people fishing on both sides of the river and nobody caught anything. Its like they are there one day and then gone the next. I have heard that the bigger fish aare on there way but I guess i'll have to be there at the right time. Angle and Jr, when do you think the stripers will come up past bridgeport cause I fish below the derby dam. Angle have you ever fished here?
pikefinder12

Postby itallushrt » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:15 am

I fish for landlocked stripers below a large dam and my best success is VERY early or right at dusk. The mornings are always way better and the bite will generally last from an hour before sunrise until 30 minutes or so past sunrise. Then it stops. The sun gets up heats the water and they move back to deeper haunts.
itallushrt

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 pm

I just got back from the boat to windy to do anything but a Kid I know had 13 keepers last night with two over 30lb..

These fish are being caught in the rivers that feed the bay on Bombers and are the first run of big stripers.. I have only herd of very few reports of ocean fish being caught off LBI and Sandy Hook.. If I were to bet on it I'd say you have another 2 weeks before any of the big boys get up there, you'll get the 20-30" cookie cutters first..

Landlocked fish are Hybrids, and just aren't the same to me.. rather catch a large mouth.. just my $.02
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby itallushrt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 am

[quote="JRisapirate"]Landlocked fish are Hybrids, and just aren't the same to me.. rather catch a large mouth.. just my $.02[/quote]

There are hybrids (striper x white bass) and true stripers that are in freshwater. Living 700 miles from the nearest coast I'll take what I can get.
itallushrt

Return to Saltwater Questions