line twist

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

line twist

Postby Halcyon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Larry,

I'm a huge fan and to date a silent student of yours.
My topic is a simple one. It is taking line twist out of modern braid?
I fish with 8lb to 15lb most of the time so twist can be real presentation killer.
The more I cast with a fixed spool reel whether it be a spinning reel and Alvey reel or my new Ray Walton Rolling pin (which is a real treat fish with) I know that each cast will put more and more twist in the line. I always fish with two or three swivels above the terminal tackle to help keep things under control by at the end of the day I always have lots of line twist. I'll make several hundred casts surf each trip to the beaches at the north end of Monterey Bay.

To date I find that the best way to get rid of the twists is to cut the swivels off after each trip to let the line spin freely.
I'm not on a boat where I could pay the line out the back while under way, which would draw all the twist out.
If there's a good strong breeze blowing I can get much of the twist out of as much of the line I can get into the air.
Otherwise I have the tedious job of drawing them out by hand about 5 feet at a time working out a little line at a time.
I know that if anyone knows the trick it's you. It has occurred to me that tying off to a drill motor might serve though I have yet tried it.
'
I can't say enough good things about your show and you honorable and personal approach to programing.
You're role as a teacher and conservationist is invaluable. Larry, I'll be watching (-;

As a final note: I have a friend Dan who owns "Silent Glide Canoe" in Medford Wisconsin. A neighbor of yours though I don't know who close. He's a fine fellow and a paddling expert. He's just getting into fly fishing for muskie.
Where would he best go to steepen his learning curve with his new challenge?

Tight Lines, Rich Sanders, Santa Cruz, Ca.
Halcyon

Re: line twist

Postby dahlberg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 am

Hi Rich
Glad you enjoy my efforts, and thank you for the kind words!
About the only way I know is to drag it behind the boat, just as you have done. You must be using some super twirling lures if you're having problems with revolving spool type reels. You might consider some kind of keel weight in addition to all those swivels!
Not sure what you mean about where your friend should go to steepen his learning curve on fly rod musky.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Halcyon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi Larry,

No twirly lures just a barrel lead with a bead on the bottom of it so little roll along the bottom in the surf. The line paying off the fixed spool is what add a little more twist after each cast.

I'm on the beach and don't have a boat to draw the twists out after a trip, thus I'm experimenting with the best way eliminate twist and want to share the results of my experiments with you and your many avid followers, of which I'm one. Larry, do you take the twists out of you line on your spinning gear with braid on them when you make may long casts after a trip?

FYI:
The rig in the long winded description below Is the one I've found keeps a couple offerings where the fish are for longest amount of time as the drift with beach rips and currents carries it. OK, deep breath ~ Here we go:
I'm casting between half and ounce and an ounce into to surf with a 13ft. noodle rod and drifting in the currents and surges. (What kind of weight would you use for this and how would you rig it?) I'm fishing with 10lb braid on a Walton Rolling pin which is a center pin reel that will rotate it's foot to cast just like a spinning reel. So for all intensive purposes I'm spinning in the suds. The longer rod allows me to run terminal rigs of 9 feet or better with three swivels at the head. There is a drop loop with a short snell for a 2" grub or fly teaser attached to it just below the swivels. At the bottom of the rig is a the barrel weight rigged to a small split ring on the main line with a bead and swivel below it as a stop. With ring on the line I can switch weights easily without cutting and retying. There is another offering some 2 feet below this that may vary from a sand worm imitation or some soft rubber thingy or bait in rare cases. The rig works a dream on open beaches as one can weight to suit the strength of surf on a given day. I've fished with a plastic float full of water when the fish are higher in the water with very good success as well. It takes a very long soft rod with a fly rod action to do this but it produces and sure is fun. I switch reels to fly fish when more calm conditions allow. This is why I ramble on.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines, Rich
Halcyon

Postby dahlberg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:55 pm

I've got the picture. I don't think there is an easy cure. Out the car window on the way home is probably not an option either.
A friend of mine in Africa used to fish with a two rod rig.
He'd tie a sinker, sometimes a roller, sometimes a pyramid, of various weights on the longest rod he had and pitch it out past where he wanted his bait.
Then he'd prop it straight up and attach his other line with a sliding swivel and break away rig on a leader of various lengths to it and slide it out.
His "rigger" rod was about 16'.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions