salt water poppers

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

salt water poppers

Postby andresbotero » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Larry, I friend and I are planing on going saltwater fishing in Bahia Solano here in the pacific coast of Colombia. There are various species like tuna, albacore, sail fish, marlin, pez gallo or papagallo, dorado, sierra wahoo, barracuda, etc. We are planing to do both shore and off shore fishing. The question for you is this: my friend is thinking about making some poppers for the trip and would like to know what colors would you suggest he paints the poppers.
I recieved your videos (huntforbigfish and larrys workshop). They are great. I'm also reading the book by John Alden Knith (moon up - moon down) and I'm finding it fascinating. Thanks for all your help.
Two more questions for you:
1. I got the cotton cordel red-fins you suggested. I've watched some videos on youtube were people put water in them to make then heavier for casting. Do you suggest I do that with mine?
2. I would like to buy a shimano round baitcasting reel that I can use for both peacock bass and medium sized saltwarer fishing. Any suggestions? Also, what rod would you pair it to?
Best regards
Andres Botero
Colombia
andresbotero

Re: salt water poppers

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 am

Glad you enjoy the shows.
I don't think color matters too much. I'd go with pearls, silvers, green, blue combos. Might want to vary size though. For sailfish, make 1"-2" long heads with holes through them and skirts of Flashabou or plastic or feathers.
Other species of fish use standard poppers. Often stop and go, long, long wait, tiny twitch retrieve.
Also make some to cast far and retrieve fast, that sink but plane to the surface and skip/splash on the retrieve.
I would not drill holes in my redfins. save them for ripping erratically. If you want them neutral, use heavier hooks.
I would go with a Calcutta 400TE and a Teremar Heavy 7- 71/2 footer.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: salt water poppers

Postby andresbotero » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you so much Larry. I truly apreciate you answering our question here.
Will let you know how it goes.
andresbotero

Return to Saltwater Questions