new lure

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

new lure

Postby fearnofish03 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 am

i have invented a lure for saltwater fishing,people tell me to watch out because my lure could get copied by someone else
by just changing one thing,how would i go about designing and marketing this lure or who would i need to talk to in order to
get this lure started any info would be appreciated
fearnofish03

Re: new lure

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:55 am

First you do a patent search, research the size of the market, talk to a patent attorney, make sure you have a non-disclosure agreement with anyone you show it to, and there is still no guarantee you won't get ripped off, in which case you need the money to defend it. My first great invention was the "off-set blank-thru handle" which was first stolen by someone who'd signed a non-disclosure and taken it to a big tackle company, then knocked off by everyone else in the industry. I have documents that prove collusion from all the good old boys that were in the trade organization at the time.
Within a year or so there was over 50 million dollars of infringing product on the market.
The lesson is that the more valuable your idea is, the better chance it will be ripped off.
The best position is to be first in with the most!
Good luck, watch both your back and your front!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

hey Larry,
what do you mean by 'offset' when talking about your handle?

steel

?
steelneal

Postby nstenni » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm

i think this website will help http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4817324.html . the first paragraph gives the general idea and then it goes into a lot more detail after the ads. it also shows larry's patent publication date which looks like it is going on 20 years here the 4th of april. pretty cool. i hope this helps and is accurate.
nstenni

Return to Saltwater Questions