Saltwater trolling Lures

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Saltwater trolling Lures

Postby JohnLew » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I think Im going to try to make some large trolling lures with the products from Alumilite. I was thinking of using the SUPER PLASTIC for the cast.
I really dont need them to float, actaully would prefer that they didnt. What would you suggest I do to keep them from floating. I was thinking some small lead trolling sinkers inside when i do the casting. Any other idea? Maybe there is a casting product that will not float?
JohnLew

Re: Saltwater trolling Lures

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 am

I wouldn't suggest doing that because you'll have difficulty in removing other urethane based parts from the mold.
If you are making trolling jet or bubbling heads like for tuna, sails, marlin etc. I'd suggest using rtv hi strength 2 or 3.
You can pour them vertically and even if the head has undercuts, etc. is stretchy and tough enough to pull the part out of easily.
for clear, dyed, hard heads use either alumilite clear or white. for soft heads use flex 40-80 (it's translucent but not clear.
You can dye the heads, use glitter or pearl powders, etc. Depending on the size and shape of the head, you may not need to add weight. Both soft and hard urethanes are heavier than water.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 am

Mr D
When you pour the jet heads do you pour it as a solid and drill out the holes?

Have you ever tried to pour squid bodies?
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 am

I make the mold so I can cast the tube right into it. That way the only hole you have to drill is in the first one you use for a model!
If I was going to make a squid I think I'd do it just like a big tube jig. I would hesitate to put the "fins" on the nose unless I could do it with out messing up the dynamics when you move it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JohnLew » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 pm

thanks Larry, I actually custom paint my lure heads, so i like the clean white urathane. I will try a few differnt things and let you know how i do.
JohnLew

Postby dirt65 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Mr. Dalhberg and others,

I have been turning troling lures for years and the thought of doing a mold for the basic head shape is intreging. I checked of Alinum product site and I didn't see a tutorial on the building of offshore trolling heads. Can you shed some light on this as to how yoou make the mold and what products to use in the making of the mold as well as the casting. If you have a system for the center design pleases share that also
dirt65

Return to Saltwater Questions