line for surf fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

line for surf fishing

Postby jblan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I have been thinking about trying braid on a surf fishing spinning reel and was trying to find out which line type would be better for distance, braid or mono
jblan

Re: line for surf fishing

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:22 am

If judged on a pound for pound basis ( 50# mono vs 50# braid for example), braid would win hands down.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ibisantz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm

agreed,
you have to think about the differences between mono and braid.
mono has lots of stretch while braid has absolutly none plus like larry said hands down it is way stronger.
ibisantz

Postby Anglermanagment » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 pm

[quote="ibisantz"]agreed,
you have to think about the differences between mono and braid.
mono has lots of stretch while braid has absolutly none plus like larry said hands down it is way stronger.[/quote]

Yes mono has strech and memory but I believe that the thinner line diamiter plays a larger roles in casting distance.
Cast 10 lb and than 30 lb mono. Your casting distance will be significantly less with the 30 lb even though 30 and 10 have similar stretch.
Anglermanagment

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:09 pm

When I lived in NC I fished the Outer bankes regularly I started fishing with 20-25lb mono tied to a 60lb shock leader 11' rod, that was standard down there.. Then went to 40lb braid tied to a 40lb shock leader, I like that shock leader to make a couple wraps around the spool too.. it gave me a greater casting distance and I could hold the bottom with less weight, at least an oz ot 2.. Make sure you wear a finger guard when casting that braid
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby emanon » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:55 am

hands down, braid, with the flouro shocker. I like 30 lb here in nj for stripers, with 40lb flouro shocker on the end....very very reliable set up........as to the finger guard, my hands are destroyed from the work I do so I have never felt the need for it, tried it once and it felt weird and kinda screwed up my casting. I also fish the exact same set up for red drum when I'm down on the banks with different terminal set up and it works great there too.........only problem is that when fishing for reds, my wife ALWAYS out fishes me........go figure. Also keep in mind with braid, you'll need to learn some maybe different knots, and get different clippers for the braid than those used with mono, and don't forget to back your reel with mono when spooling it up...really not that big of a deal though and well worth it for the performance gains and increased sensitivity you'll be getting. Also, try it on your bottom fishing rig...it's amazing!
emanon

Return to Saltwater Questions