Muskie lures for Tarpon?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Muskie lures for Tarpon?

Postby piss0nPETA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:10 am

Mr Dahlberg
I am a die hard muskie angler from WI headed to the keys to fish tarpon sometime in late March. I was wondering if you have ever experimented with muskie lures when chasing them. Baits that come to mind are the water chopper style (like your whopper plopper), pacemakers, weagles, maybe even a creeper? Smaller bulldawgs, shallow invaders, and swim baits maybe? And last how about cowgirls? I have a fleet of them available to choose from and it would be awesome if something in saltwater would eat them too. Have you tried any of the mentioned or do you have any recommendations for muskie baits that a tarpon might go after also? I am more than happy to walk into the Bass Pro down there and throw down cash for tarpon specific baits but it would be oh so sweet to take a lure I can't catch a muskie with and boat a tarpon. Thanks in advance!
piss0nPETA

Re: Muskie lures for Tarpon?

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 am

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but it's probably a good idea to leave all your musky lures at home. You could bring a couple to sleep with in case you get lonely, but...
Generally, the most effective tarpon lures are small, less than 5", and you work them very lazily 99% of the time. The bagley finger mullet is a great one. Presentation angle is often very important as well. You want them coming toward you.
Jigs work, plus I've caught them on reaper heads with sluggos or reapers attached.
Crabs, pinfish, mullet, shrimp...
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby piss0nPETA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am

Larry,
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking that to a 80 or 100# fish a weagle would just be a snack. I looked into the Bagley bait and have a bunch of lucky crafts and stuff similar to that one. I will pick up a few of those jumping mullets for sure. One last thing, I've heard a lot about a bait called DOA shrimp? Have you used them before and what were the results? Thanks!
piss0nPETA

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 pm

all the doa products catch fish. They might look pretty dorky to a musky or other freshwater angler, but you gotta give them what they want, not what you like to throw.
You don't want the jumping mullet, you want the bagley finger mullet that's neutral.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions