Jigs

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Jigs

Postby mother ducker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Hey Larry,

After watching your shows on lure making (jigs), I bought enough supplies to make a few (Herring, Mackerell and Sardine pattern). This past November I hooked a nice 10-15 lb Dolphin on the first cast off Panama. Unfortunately the fish broke the 80LB mono leader. I was using a 2PC Ugly Stick Tiger Spining Rod spooled with 65LB Power Pro and a 10' 40 lb Fluro leader. I had pegged the jig on the leader to keep it stationary. I am wondering if the edges of the hole were to sharp and cut the 80 LB leader. I had to try and stop the fish before it took $30 worth of braid. The lure looked great in the water and had a nice fluttering action. The total weight of the jig was 4 and 1/8th oz. Am looking forward to receiving my next order of supplies. Kepp the new episodes coming. Outdoor telivision needs shows like yours...I get really bored with most of the "Canned" fishing shows these days!

Tight lines

Capt. Andrew W.
Capt. Andy White
mother ducker

Re: Jigs

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm

I've never had that happen. Maybe you damaged the mono when you pegged it, or it was bad mono, or you pulled too hard!
Glad you enjoy the show.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions