Pending Rio P. trip

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Pending Rio P. trip

Postby Chris K. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Larry!

My college buddy and fellow obsessive angler and I are treating ourselves to a trip to the Rio Parismina Lodge in late April for our 40th birthdays. While we realize they can provide most if not all of the tackle, much of the fun for us is in preparation for the trip. Whether needed or not we'll be making up leaders, tying bucktails, experimenting with rigs that may not work and generally trying to stretch this trip into a 3 month experience (much to the amusment of our wives)!

We're taking our own gear and like I said whether needed or not we'll fish with it at least some of the time. We both have 8' Albright travel rods that are medium to medium heavy. Not ideal boat rods but have the stuff for 1-2oz rigs. Attached is my Van Staal 150 with plenty of 65# Power Pro on one spool and 50# on another. Bob has the same rod with a shiney new Shimano Saragosa matched to the rod with the same line as myself. In addition to my homemade bucktails I'm going to rig some leaders in advance too, and after seeing one of your other posts can't resist the idea of experimenting with some form of jigging spoon rigs.

I'd love to hear any opinions you have on leaders, terminal tackle and artificials for fishing out of the Rio P. lodge. How long for the leaders? Colors for baits? Top water, subsurface...?...any thoughts you have would be invaluable. We will be sure to trust our guides but our compulsion to experiment and try new things is irrepresible. Seeing you do the same is why we love your show.

If "necessity is the mother of invention" then, in my opinion, when it comes to fishing, I think obsession and creativity must be the father!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with all our fellow fisherman on this forum. It is sincerly, very much appreciated!

Warm Regards,
Chris
Chris K.

Re: Pending Rio P. trip

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 pm

jigging spoons, sardine size. 3-5". You'll be in 20-120 feet of water. fish can be anywhere from top to bottom.
Catch live bait with sabiki rigs. You may not relish the idea of live bait, but you will eventually stoop to it it things are tough, which can be the case.
I use TE 400's with 65# line and 130#leader.

for snook, black jigs, swim baits, deep divers, ..depends if you surf fish or troll for them. I would not spend any time doing it unless something unusual is happening.

It's a very nice place, and as sure a bet for tarpon as I know anywhere.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Pending Rio P. trip

Postby Chris K. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

We're definitely not above live bait! In fact we're looking forward to it. Variety is what we're after both in tactics and in species.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris
Chris K.

Return to Saltwater Questions