Big Fish from Shore in Hawaii

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Big Fish from Shore in Hawaii

Postby WeatherSurfer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi all. I'm new to this site. Im originally from FL where I was starved for surf, and fishing was amazing. Now, I live in Hawaii where I have all the surf I want, but without a boat its difficult to catch, or at least find somewhere I can catch a fish over 10 lbs from shore hahah. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Most of the locals consider the same sized fish I used for bait, a good catch here. Somebody help find a fish that gives me a workout!! If that's possible. Thanks.
WeatherSurfer

Re: Big Fish from Shore in Hawaii

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 pm

I've heard about people who catch giant trevally from cliffs there. They even carve out depressions to hold their rods. If you
trespass on someone else's spot it's a bad deal
I'm having a mental block as to what they call Trevally, but they have dedicated rods that are extremely long and built especially for how they fish there.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:27 am

What island are you on? I spent two weeks on Kaua'i and became friends with a couple locals and can remember him talking about yellowfin tuna off the cliffs as well. The best bait is octopus and a lot of the guys dive for their own. If you get a chance they have these giant crabs they fish for as well cant remember what they are called though..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby JRyan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 am

Hey weathersurfer, how about a kayak? I've heard that the kayak fishing in Hawaii can be insane. Take care, John
JRyan

Postby JRyan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

I believe Trevally is called Ulua or White Ulua in Hawaii.
JRyan

Return to Saltwater Questions