Billfish Research and Resin Spinner Blades

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Billfish Research and Resin Spinner Blades

Postby Fred6944 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 pm

This may seem like an odd post but, I am a marine biologist specializing in tagging billfish. I am currently using satellite tags to track marlin and sailfish off Costa Rica. I am working on a new way of attaching my tags to the fish that isn't as invasive as traditional techniques. In my design process I have come up with a barbed anchor that looks very similar to your resin spinner blades. That being said I could use some advice on resin choices and the process for making them. I am looking for a resin that is strong and could withstand upwards of six months of continuous exposure to saltwater. In addition, I would potentially need to drill into this resin to anchor the barbs into the anchor. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Fred6944

Re: Billfish Research and Resin Spinner Blades

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:08 am

Hi F
That IS an interesting question. The urethanes are extremely tough, can be drilled etc, and chemical resistant, but I'm not sure which is the best for your purpose. I will ask my friend Mike at Alumilite to weigh in. Do you have a crude sketch or anything we can look at to get an idea of where and how much the stresses might be?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fred6944 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:27 pm

I have tried to post a sketch but, there is an issue with posting sketchs on this forum. Essentially I am trying to mimic a remora with this anchor. I would like to attach it to the tough cartilage that the dorsal fin folds into. I don't think there is much flexing in this region but, I think the biggest problem will be maintaining a tight fit between the tissue and the anchor. I plan to accomplish this with 2-3 barbs set in the resin. If you can suggest a way to attach the sketch I can give you a better idea of what I am trying to describe.
Fred6944

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:44 pm

I believe we may be able to help you narrow down the choices of which resin to use but I would like to see the sketch and discuss it so we are on the same sheet of music. Please give me a call tomorrow and we'll figure out a way I can take a look at the sketch.

Thanks,
Mike
Alumilite
800 447-9344
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi F
Will be shipping you a proto tomorrow. I think you will be inspired. It would make a hideous torture device or "slap and run" weapon.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions