Van Staal reels?????

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Van Staal reels?????

Postby jonkell » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:00 am

Larry,

I am shopping for a new surf reel and I really respect your opinion. I have been known to destroy a reel or two due to my fishing style. I know your a shimano guy but what are your thoughts on Van staal reels?? My reels get a little wet. I have been through Stradic, Spheros, Penn slammmer, SSG and Quantum Salwater reels. I rinse off my reels but it seems they dont last. Thanks, John
jonkell

Postby dahlberg » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:17 am

Hi John,
I've not fished extensively with the Van Staal, but I've witnessed disappointment by those using several of the other reels you mention.
When using larger spinning reels, I've never had a problem with the Sustain. It's waterproof drag and direct gear set-up make it more rugged than the slightly lower priced Stradic, and I think a significantly better value for you dollar than the Van Staal.
Best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Tuna Killer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi John:

Like Larry told you, in spinning outfit, nobody beats Shimano, like you I used several brands and models until I decide to spend the money, I bought a Stella, thas was 4 years ago, I choose 10,000FA, very high speed, is true that I dont surfcasting, I do more offshore popping, but I dont have complaints about my Stella, I landed 100# Yellowfin with this reel, cuberas, roosterfish, dorados, and my reel is like brand new, only good maintenance every 6 months, and that's all. You will buy a reel forever.

Tuna Killer
Tuna Killer

Postby Redlinerobert » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:48 am

Agreed on the Stella. I own four of them, and have never had an issue with any of them. The VS is a nice looking reel, but what it really boils down to is build. Stella's are a proven design, I am not so sure about the VS.
Robert
Redlinerobert

Return to Saltwater Questions