Gear recommendations for a La Paz, Baja trip?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Gear recommendations for a La Paz, Baja trip?

Postby SeattleRichard » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 pm

I will be going to La Paz in June, and would like some gear recommendations.

I am primarily a fly fishing guy, and am pretty well set up a couple deep with 10 weights and 12 weights for my upcoming La Paz trip. My dad is coming along (he's a young 61), and he's a primarily a gear guy (though he will be trying fly gear).

Neither he nor I believe we have the correctly sized gear to tangle with dorado, the incidental sailfish or yellowfin, etc. I understand dorado and skipjack and some sierra are the primary deepwater fish; the inshore fish are cabrilla, pargo, lemon grouper, jacks, and (hopefully) some roosterfish.

He has a Penn 321 GTI that I think would work wonderfully; I have both a Calcutta 400 and Calcutta 251. We're not sure what rods to pick up. If we use some of the smaller capacity reels (like the Calcuttas), our plan would be to line them up with braid. We're both pretty experienced fishermen, with small king salmon the largest fish he's caught, and I've caught a couple of tarpon (on the Calcutta 251), and small jacks, but no experience with these Baja fish . . .

What thoughts do you have on the reels that we already have, if we need to supplement anything, and what rods we should purchase or take? What braids should be use on our existing equipment?

Thank you so much for your time!
SeattleRichard

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 am

Hi SR,
If your boat's not too nimble or the captain's a little slow on the trigger you might have some problems with running out of line! I'd suggest a couple larger capacity reels as back up.
For trolling I've fallen in love with the Trevalla Jigging rods. They're light, almost unbreakable, and break down to less than 4' in length.
IF you're doing any casting I'd suggest some heavy or med heavy musky type sticks in 7-7 1/2' range.
Have fun,
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions