sorry to bother you

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

sorry to bother you

Postby misty » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:36 pm

I have a question, if you have a class tippit of 16, or 20lb. and you tie a Bimini in it if you put a loop in your shock leader and connect loop to loop are there problems, or issues with this as far as hinging, bulkiness, or other issues?
This is more for snook when you have many shots and need a quick change as opposed to changing the entire tippit and shock leader section (no tarpon stretcher).
Oh yeah, I realize the IGFA stance is 12 inches on a shock leader, but again if your just out there for the catching what do you guys use length wise for shocks?
Thanks
misty

Postby jbird » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Misty.

The ideal settup is to have your bimini loop to loop connection from class to butt. For class to shock, use the slim beauty knot http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/knot ... eauty.aspx

When you look at the instructions, youl see that you double the class when tying it to the shock. That works perfectly, and with the bimini at the other end of the class tippet, youll have the stretch benefit that the bimini gives you. Another way I like to do it is to tie a bimini loop at each end of the class tippet. I will use the loop as the doubled line knotting to the shock tippet. It is a fantastic settup that has worked for me flawlessly.
This knot is so easy, once you get it down you can tie it in the field in 30 seconds.

Jay
jbird

Postby misty » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:34 am

Just checked out that knot, looks good . thanks
misty

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:47 am

Hi M,
I'm a very high speed caster and a loop to loop connection at that point in the leader would whistle and do crazy things when I tried to cast under a mangrove or pier.
I use a longer shock tippet and a "re-tieable" knot I learned from some snook guys in Central America. It's exactly like a bowline but instead of a loop to start the knot you use an overhand knot. It makes an open loop that can be untied and re-tied in seconds for switching flies or lures. I also use it for tarpon. The knot has no name, so I call it Knot Again.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions