Stained water fly fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Stained water fly fishing

Postby billydowns » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:31 am

I was fishing an estuary in El Salvador 2 weeks ago. The water was muddy but the locals were netting snook and catching mangrove snappers with shrimp. Hooked a small jack on a tip and a red and white clouser. What are some tips on fishing dirty/muddy estuaries with fly tackle. Maybe I should of scouted with conventional tackle but I was limited to the amount of stuff I could bring on the plane.

Would you consider doing a show in El Salvador ? The blue water fishing was pretty good. We hooked 8 sails and countless mahi. They could use a economic boost with some fishing traffic.

Billy Downs
www.clearwaterlodge.com
billydowns

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:03 am

Hi bd,
Dirty water is a bear sometimes, especially if it's usually clean.
In places where it's almost always cloudy though, the fish are usually catchable if you can get their attention.
For chasers like jacks use a fast retrieve and a popper or a fly with lots of Flashabou.
Also focus on current funnels, points, areas where bait would hide or get pushed into.
I'd film anywhere that offers a shot at big fish.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm

For murky water I like either popper style flies that disturb the surface, or big underwater flies that exercise the fishs' lateral line sense. But usually I switch to spinning or casting because it's more fun than fly fishing in those conditions.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions