Fishing in Mexico - Riviera Maya

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Fishing in Mexico - Riviera Maya

Postby jhillman17 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:43 am

I was thinking about taking a travel rod and trying to do some fishing off and around our resort property just south of Playa Del Carmen. It looks like from the photos there are a few reefs and rock jetty's on the property or connected beach. Has anyone ever tried this, do the resorts allow it? Also, what kind of license do you need and where in Mexico can you pick one up? What can I expect to catch?

This is a last minute trip and leaving in about 3 weeks, but thought I would check into the option and see if anyone has any opinions or knowledge on the subject.
jhillman17

Re: Fishing in Mexico - Riviera Maya

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 am

Do you have access to a boat?
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jhillman17 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I Don't personally have access to a boat, but I do know there are quite a few places in and around Playa that i could probably rent a boat or pay someone to take me out for awhile. I'm not sure i'm too keen on doing any full blown charters for a day. I've done about 5 charters in the last few years and never had any luck. Cabo, St. Kitts, Florida, etc...so basically I've donated a few thousand dollars to keep local fisherman in business!

Do you know anyone or have any ideas or suggestions? I'm open to ideas.
jhillman17

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:50 am

I'd bring a surf style set up with both topwater lures and spoons to toss, and a kit for for live bait. Bait on balloons set out on outgoing tide or off shorewind can be effective. Might bring small spinning gear and small jigs, spoons, hooks to catch bait.
Scout to see where birds and bait gather, or ask around. Usually an hour on either side of and dead on high slack tide is the best time to fish.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions