Best way to attach hooks to wooden lures

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Best way to attach hooks to wooden lures

Postby SharkBite » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:48 am

I have some small stainless eye hooks for attaching hooks to smaller wooden plugs. But I'm going to FL in march and want to build some wooden plugs for salt water and don't think the small eye hooks will go in far enough to really be secure, is there a source that you can suggest for long shank eye hooks? I'm going after larger red fish and 3-6 foot sharks.
SharkBite

Re: Best way to attach hooks to wooden lures

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:46 am

Even in the screws are long they are often still weak. I'm a thru-wire kind of guy and simply don't use that type of hardware when I'm making lures, so I'm not sure where to get them.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JGH31 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Sharkbite what you're looking for are called magnum screw eyes, an internet search should find plenty of sources for them.
JGH31

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:41 am

In some of the ultra clear waters I fish a wooden plug such as a 'High Roller' brand works where a plastic w/rattles wont. Ive caught good sized Snook and Reds on them. They are a screw eye design. Ive learned to always check the eyes after a big fish and if Im using braid to set my drag lighter so as to not put too much force on the lure. Horse them and the potential to damage the lure rises.
Henry Schmidt

Postby emanon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 pm

to provide a bit of insurance, try applying a little epoxy to the threads before setting them, but through wire is the best way to go for more aggresive fish like you are going for
emanon

Return to Saltwater Questions