Your article "Live Bait" in NAFC

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Your article "Live Bait" in NAFC

Postby spotfish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Dear Larry:

I read your article in N.A.F.C. It was interesting to say the least. However I have a question and a challenge for you. First, in your statement that "domestic" raised fish are not as good as wild caught, does that pertain to ALL domestic raised fish? Second, we raise spot as bait and would like for you to prove your theory. We'd be happy to supply you with all the spot you will need to carry out your investigation. If you don't agree with this request or wish to persue, please contact us at:

http://www.maatfarms.com/Home.html

Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

S. Tecumseh.
spotfish

Re: Your article "Live Bait" in NAFC

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:16 am

Hi S
Yes, for absolutely positive in my experience I've had far better success with fresh caught, properly held and handled wild live bait than I have with either farm raised or commercially trapped live bait.
I've studied this, and done repeated demonstrations to doubting hardcore live bait fishing friends on bass, walleyes tarpon, snook, peacock bass and especially muskies.
The reason is very simple. The wild, fresh, strong bait reacts more (goes nutso) when a predator is nearby. Often it's enough to stimulate a fish that's neutral into becoming a biter.
This doesn't mean wild bait is always better than farm raised. A poorly handled or rigged wild bait that's weak is likely not as good as a farm raised bait that's in great shape.
By the same token, I would rather have ONE super duper hot fresh live bait than a tank full of lethargic, stressed ones!
thanks for the post!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Your article "Live Bait" in NAFC

Postby Brian » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm

I've noticed the same thing with pike in a local lake. Every fall they start going nuts before resting up for the winter. One day years ago when live shiners wouldn't work, we decided to catch a few small perch and hook them up to see what would happen. They exploded. Even the ones that weren't nabbed by the hook set would not let go of the perch until you pulled them out of the water almost completely, they were literally fighting just by holding on to the bait and nothing else. The Pike would set there for 5 minutes chewing and tugging on them right by shore without even being hooked. Throw out a shiner, and nothing! This worked well every fall for a few years until the Fish and Boat Commission started to put size restrictions on Perch in the lake of 9" which ended our use of them as bait. The Perch seem to be getting bigger though, which could make for some bigger pike in the future!

Take Care

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Saltwater Questions