Bonecrusher

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Bonecrusher

Postby Henslo86 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:11 pm

In your response to my question about Gotcha's, you suggested a fly called the bonecrusher that you invented. do you know where i can find tying instructions on it? the one they have at orvis doesnt look like what u described
Henslo86

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:40 am

Hi H,
The fly was produced commercially by Umpqua Feather Merchants. Try emailing them or checking their website.
During the development of the fly, I had with me EVERY bonefish pattern marketed by Umpqua. I tried ALL of them side by side with the fly I was developing. (While fishing in the Bahamas and Seychelle Islands) The vertically tied bonecrusher outproduced the other flies about 5 to 1.
As I recall I showed how to tie it a couple of times on TV, but I don't currently have an easy way of making the instructions available. Sorry I can't currently be of more help.
Essentially, I make a bend about an eight inch behind the hook eye, like a jig hook with a 45% bend. I use a short shank hook, usually in sizes 6-1.
I fasten lead eyes at the bend in such a way as they make a 3 point base, either with the bend or eye of the hook which allows the fly to sit up right every time if you drop it into a glass of water.
The body is flashabou dubbing, the wing is tied vertically, like a parachute fly and includes 4 silicone legs tipped with a tiny speck of orange or blue and a few strands of synthetic hair or pref sheep wool.
I keep going up in size until the fish fish either spook or refuse it. Using the biggest fly you can get away with allows both you and the fish to keep better track of it. When you stop the fly, it's vertical profile makes it much easier for the bone to see it and suck it in!
Equally important is to have a selection designed to sink at varying rates. You want to cast far enough in front of the fish as not to spook it, and have the fly weighted just right so it gets to the bottom in time for the fish to notice it.
Good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby KM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:52 am

Larry:

Can you recommend a type of hair for the wing? In the pictures I've found and on the fly I saw you using on the show (the underwater shots), the wing didn't look like a craft fur from a Gotcha but was not as "bulky" as most of the natural wool I've used for sculpin-type trout and bass flies.

Also - does the body material matter that much? Can a sparkle braid, mylar braid, or flashabou/krystal flash rope be used in place of the dubbing?

I really enjoy the show and thanks for the help.

Kevin
KM

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:44 am

THe big difference in my BC and other bonefish flies is the fact the wing actually stands up vertically rather than lying flat on the bottom, so it's much easier for a fish to see and find.
It's the "fuselage" or design elements that matter most, not the specific materials. I'm sure I could tie a very effective one using the fuzz off my socks and elastic from my undies.
I spent many, many hours observing reactions to various color intensities and reflection.
Too much fluourescent chart or orange would usually scare the dickens out of them. Same goes with too much flash.
Just the right amount, however, and it does not take much, is a definate advantage for initially attracting them, and finding it when it's stationary.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby KM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks, Larry! There are a few on the way to Vieques with a friend so we"ll see what happens.

I went with a light tan wool for the wing and rope-dubbed pearl Ice Dubbing for the body. I used x-fine rubber legs tipped w/ red prisma color marker b/c I couldn't find orange or blue paint or marker I liked. Hope the bones don't mind.

Thanks, again.

Kevin
KM

Return to Saltwater Questions