Shimano 400TE or Shimano Curado 300DSV

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Shimano 400TE or Shimano Curado 300DSV

Postby oldshoe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Larry,
Picked a couple of Loomis Bucara rods. (BR864C/7'2"/15-25lb.) Would like your preference regarding reel choice. I own both of the afore-mentioned Shimano reels. I will be throwing large top water plugs for tarpon, snook and possibly peacock bass. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

oldshoe
oldshoe

Re: Shimano 400TE or Shimano Curado 300DSV

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:05 am

That's a tough one. If I was strictly fishing tarpon I'd go with the 400TE. Especially if you're using really large lures and fatter braid to avoid pop-offs if you backlash!
If I was mostly fishing pcock or tarpon not likely to spool me if they decide to leave, I'd pick the Curado!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby oldshoe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:58 pm

I intend to use quality 20lb mono, no braid. Would any of the Trinidad series be a contender? I have felt it would be difficult retrieving plugs with an open spool.

Thanks for your thoughts.

oldshoe
oldshoe

Postby dahlberg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:55 am

I think you'd want to try one first. If you're making lots of casts with lures a level wind is awfully nice to have!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Kellett » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I run 400TE's, 300 Curado's and a Trinidad 14. The TE is probably your best overall if you're just going to buy 1 reel. If you're open to getting 2 I'd DEFIANTLY recommend getting 1 Curado and a Trinidad 14. I actually find that the 14 casts just as good as my TE. With the lack of levelwind there is less drag and in turn fewer potential backlashes (if you're an accomplished caster and pay attention). The 14 just fishes big stuff so nice I'm actually looking to trade a TE or 2 for the Trinidads.

BTW, I use these reels for muskies so take my advise with a grain of salt. We're all kind of weird...
Shawn Kellett

Postby oldshoe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey Shawn,
Thanks for your input. I already own 2 400TEs and 4 Curado 300 DSVs (ran out and bought the 300s when Larry said Shimano was going to stop making them). I looked at the Trinidad 14 and feel it would be better at pitching live bait than 300 or 500 plug casts. However it is tempting.

thanks again,

oldshoe
oldshoe

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi OS
I think shawn is referring to the trinidad's superiority at fishing very large double bladed bucktails at high speeds while pursuing muskies.
It comes down to pure cranking power on a lure that pulls very hard.
Also, important to note, the big bucktail is retrieved at a steady rate with a steady even pull so the line is uniformly tight during the entire retrieve which allows it (especially if you use 80-100#line) to lay nicely on the spool even without a level wind.
If you're using lures that you jerk or twitch erratically the lack of a levelwind becomes a bigger issue.
No doubt, a disengaging level wind is a benefit for casting efficiency. As you've no doubt noticed, the 300 Curado has a disengaging level wind, where the TE's do not.
The reason they chose not to design them with disengaging level winds has to do with drag pressure being inconsistant in a wide spool reel when you really put the heat on, plus when the line is on the far right of the spool and the level wind is on the far left (with can happen with a disengaging level wind) if you're really, really pulling you can literally bend or blow the level wind mechanism right out of it's birth!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby oldshoe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi Larry,
I knew you would jump in this discussion sooner or later. I don't know whether I am in a R and D Shimano meeting or going to Musky school. Either way, this is good stuff and you certainly won't find it on the reel boxes. Sharing fishing knowledge from real life experiences is a great way to enhance this sport we all seem to be addicted too. I doubt I will ever fish for Muskys, however their are a lot of similarities when it comes to fishing for Muskys, Tarpon and Snook. Which by the way are constantly teaching me new lessons.

oldshoe
oldshoe

Postby Shawn Kellett » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:16 am

Hey Larry,

I'm actually using the T14 for working dawgs (large plastic lures that you jerk) and twitching 10" minnow baits. If you do it for a few casts you get the feel for how you have to retrieve them. Since the reel picks up line so fast you're rarely reeling in totally slack where you would have a problem not having a level wind. I like it so much for these other styles of baits that I'm going to buy another one.

The one limiting factor to using a 14 is that you need to have a bait that's heavy enough and has enough resistance when pulling it in. For muskie fishing everything is heavy and pulls. :)
Shawn Kellett

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi S
The one limiting factor you mention is exactly the problem with the most effective tarpon and snook lures! Also, depending on what/where you're fishing you might have to rifle super low trajectory casts underneath stuff with lures that weigh half or a third as much as most of our musky lures, something the curado and TE do beautifully that's a bit tough with the Trinidad.

When are we going fishing?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions