lingcod tips

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

lingcod tips

Postby salmonneed help » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 am

is there any specific depth you all have found better than the rest for lingcod hunting, i i usually launch at halfmoon bay pillar point or if i hav a specific spot to fish i will launch along a beach off of hwy 1. i am kayak based and i do have a depth finder and where i see clumps of rockfish i usually drop a live rockfish for lings, very few times will i get bit, i fished 30-50 ft with 1 shaker ling, and 80-90 ft with 1 keeper, any lingcod tips will help thanks, nick
salmonneed help

Re: lingcod tips

Postby YakMan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey Nick - I'm down on the central coast near cambria/san simeon ... i've caught the bigger ones in as shallow as 6 feet just off the rocks during low tide. usually i am on my kayak and get them in 45+ feet simply because that is where the kelp beds are. I typically work the inside of the beds on my way out then work the outside of the beds for the larger part of the day then work the insides again on my way back in. Look for good current flows between beds as well. get to the leading edge and then drift between the beds. in any case you have to be on the bottom around rocks wherever you are.

I had a one of my best days on they yak on the 4th in Cambria with at least 30 fish caught and a great 10 fish stringer for the party that night- reds, blues and olives and 16"+ =- the red was easy 21 and 4+ lbs. All of them caught on a 2 oz. dart jig covered with pearl flashabou. Used a pair of 6.6 med. bass rods - one with 6 lb. mono and the other w 17 lb mono. I think the larger 4 oz size will be better for lings - bigger bait = bigger fish. 5" and 7" swimbaits with 2-4 oz jig heads also work great but a lot more snags and lost tackle it seems.

good luck,
YakMan
YakMan

Re: lingcod tips

Postby salmonneed help » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:24 pm

I definitely see what your saying, i will give it a shot for sure next time I'm out there. I've also picked up a hand held gps which I'm bringing along with me on the 14th on the queen of hearts, so i should have plenty of options when i start to paddle. thanks, nick
salmonneed help

Return to Saltwater Questions