New to surf.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

New to surf.

Postby KingFisherOne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:53 pm

I am a long time fan of yours Larry since I first saw flyfishing for northerns, and I really have to many questions to ask I have just moved to N.C. and can't wait to fish the surf, But I do not know where to start ANY advice would be appreciated.
Thanks alot .
Brandon.
KingFisherOne

Re: New to surf.

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:35 am

Hi KF
The best advice I could give you is to learn the beach in low tide, be sure you're fishing an hour either side of the high.
Surf fishing can really be fun and there's no better way to really get into the cycle of time and tides and fish activity.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby salmonneed help » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:47 pm

hiya, best advice i have is check local sources for bait info, if nones available bring 2-3 different types of bait, spider sinkers are good but regular pyramid works fine as well, upwards of 5oz. on a rough beach, good luck
salmonneed help

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Brandon,

I am an annual visitor to the Outer Banks of NC. I have heard many great things about the Surf Fishing along the beaches. Yet, I've had very little luck catching anything. From what I gather, the best fishing happens in the surf in Late fall, Winter, and Spring. All of the info I've taken from fishermen in the area say that the Striper fishing heats up from November through January or February, and the Red Drum usually show up in March or April.

From personal experience I can tell you that I've spent many hours fishing the piers and beaches along the Outer Banks without much luck. I have fished with more than one person that swears the fishing has declined there dramatically in the past 25 years. The tides are the best time to try, where you can expect to catch bluefish as the main edible fish, but mostly you catch skate, rays, shark, and mullet. It seems that the Blues like to follow the high tide inshore in search of bait balls. You can also expect to find schools of Spanish Mackerel, which like the blues are quite tasty table fare if you want to have a fish fry. The baits that I've had the best luck with is shrimp and cut mullet. The best places I've heard of trying are along Cape Point on Hatteras Island. The warm Gulf stream and Cold Labrador Current collide just offshore and bring a variety of fish near the beaches. Every year fishermen land some monsterous 50+ inch Redfish on Cape Point. The only problem is that area is a National Seashore. There are Endangered and Protected species of bird that nest on the Hatteras National Seashore, and beach closings are now a regular thing. But hey, when you are fishing on one of the last protected areas for many endangered and migratory birds, sometimes you have to give a little. Many of the bridges that cross inlets also offer fishing platforms for you to use. As high tide rolls in, you can fish on the ocean side where flounder routinely wait facing the sea for something tasty to bounce by. I wish you the best of luck, and if you get a chance, take a charter. Many of the captains are more than willing to give information that is most helpful to any saltwater angler. Heck, most of the times the Marina's and seafood processing areas don't even mind if you fish from their docks.

This is the best info I can provide, not sure if this helps as I mostly fish the Outer Banks and I'm not sure where you are planning on going.

Best of Luck
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Saltwater Questions