Using flashabou minnow body

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Using flashabou minnow body

Postby longcasts » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:37 pm

After selecting the correct diameter for your lure and cutting the lenght--how do "glue" the body to the popper. Is there a way to size the flashabou using heat or ? How do you protect the body ie clear coat of somekind. I'm going to use it on saltwater poppers and crease flies. I should have ordered the DVD when I got the flashabou, now I've run out of time before the plane leaves. Bob
longcasts

Re: Using flashabou minnow body

Postby YakMan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Not Larry but it sounds like you are in a hurry ...

Pull the minnow body over your part and leave about 1/2" extra at the head to hold then grab and pull the other end tight. Put a drop of super glue at the head while holding the minnow body tight and let that dry. Do the same at the tail end let dry. Once it is held in place I go around the ends with super glue then cut it to the ends of the body.

On my non-sliding jigs I glued the tail end to the body and left about a 1" tube of minnow body hanging past the hook end. I pull that back, put on a split ring and hook and then untwist the minnow body to make a skirt.

I used a clear coat called Triple Thick from the local hobby store which is a brush-on but worked great. Anything similar should do the trick.

On the DVD Larry twists each end before gluing. It will take a couple of tries to get it just the way you want so do a couple "dry runs" before gluing so you get used to working with it.

Good Luck,
YakMan
YakMan

Re: Using flashabou minnow body

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:46 pm

For popper try this. Have the right sized tubing (usually large)
Tie a few wrap of thread around the very front face of the popper and secure it with a couple of half hitches.
Put material over head of popper up against the thread, actually facing the wrong direction. So the tubing is going in the opposite direction of the hook, secure it with thread and tie it off. Now tie the thread to the front of the hook behind the popper head and secure.
clip off tubing the length of the head plus another 1/2" or more.
Gently push tubing back, so it turn inside out and rolls onto and over the popper head like a stocking.
Pull down and smooth out.
Secure rear with thread.
Coat with anythng from 5 minute epoxy to urethane.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions