Surf Fishing in California

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Surf Fishing in California

Postby rockwell » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey Larry,
I was wondering if you have done any Surf fishing along the coast of California, or anywhere on the west coast? If so do you have any tips about where you went, and what you fished for?

I have always wanted to try but I'm going to need a rod and reel for this. I dont mind spending a little extra $$$ for a good set up. I've being told that its importiant to get a long pole so I can get my bait out far enough. What reel type, and model would you most likely suggest. I'll be fishing for Striper, Halibit, Perch If that helps at all. Anyway thanks, any help will be great.
rockwell

Re: Surf Fishing in California

Postby YakMan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Not Larry but I live down on the Cali Central Coast and do some surf fishing from time to time ... for perch you don't need the 12' surf rod.
I use a small rod for perch - usually similar to a bass pole but sometimes even a trout pole with 4 lb. test - tie a #1 owner octopus hook on the end with a 2-3" grub - motor oil color works great here. Put a 3/8 oz weight up about 18" from the hook. Get out in the waves and have some fun - the perch aren't very far out - you'll be surprised how many you catch 10-15 feet out on the retrieve.

I haven't had much luck with Halibut in the surf but they do catch them here - mostly using live bait or squid.

Good luck - YakMan
YakMan

Postby rockwell » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 pm

YakMan,
I'll give that a try. Last time I went out with m y trout pole and anchovies cause I was told they were landing stripers but didnt have any luck. I'm going to be going again soon so I'll pick up some grubs. Thanks for the tip.
rockwell

Postby salmonneed help » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:59 pm

i've surf fished that general area, around halfmoon bay down to monteray, and i confirm the grubs are a good producer of fish. but i've also had some larger perch hit on 1/4 oz. kastmasters, krocodiles. then if you ever want to try bait fishing the surf try a carolina rig, maybe 1/2 oz slider at the most with cut squid or go all natural and bring a small shovel to dig some sandcrabs, hook them on to size 4 owner bait holders and your in good shape.
best of luck,
nick
salmonneed help

Return to Saltwater Questions