Good enough for tuna?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Good enough for tuna?

Postby adambomb54 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:30 pm

For Larry or anyone else,

A friend and I are making a run to a spot called Butterfish Hole for a little offshore fun, it is just south of Montauk Point. Its a well know spot to catch bluefin tuna up to 50 lbs, albies and bonito, and mahi-mahi on occasion. I have a 7' MH Teramar SE and a Stradic 8000 loaded with 50# PP and am just curious if that set up is up to catching these burners for a day. Also since I've never fished tuna any pointers would be much appreciated. I do have a couple diamond jigs and those will definitely be used.

Thanks,
Adam
adambomb54

Re: Good enough for tuna?

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Your rig sounds like it should be just fine. Be sure to bring a few poppers as well as jigs and live bait.
Pull as hard as your line will allow from the get go, hang on tight and short stroke 'em in!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Good enough for tuna?

Postby JayS52 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 pm

No question. 50lber's with that setup should take no more than three minutes to whoop with good technique. FWIW, a little to the north of you we currently are taking 200lb fish on 65 and Stella 20000/Saragosa 14000 reels on Calstars and Super Seekers. You should be more than fine on that setup. Give 'em hell, and remember to palm the spool in the spiral, bend the blank through the grip, and never let the tip out of the water.
JayS52

Return to Saltwater Questions