More Lure Making Questions

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

More Lure Making Questions

Postby Grandpa21 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:01 am

Larry,

Some more lure making questions...

1.) I'm soon going to be entering the realm of lure making. I was curious if you knew what the hardness's of typical Tuna and big game swimbaits and topwater lures were when using the Durometer Scale. With your experience is the Alumilite White and other associated Alumilite casting resins durable enough to to stand up to Tuna and even GT's?

2.) Have you used this product to pour large cup-faced surface poppers or would you prefer solid wood? Is the density of the alumilite material greater or less than water?

3.) What type of wire would you generally use for your wire through construction and where do you purchase it?

4.) If you were to buy some durable through wire Tuna baits which ones have been your favorite over the years?

Thanks a bunch,

Ryan
Grandpa21

Re: More Lure Making Questions

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi R
Big game lures range from around 20 to 40 durometer.
Alumilite white is tougher than any material I know of currently used in commercial manufacturing of lures.
The alumilite resins are all just slightly heavier than water (appx 1.2 specific gravity). IT can be made to float by adding microballoons.
For lures needing tuning, like crankbaits, I use brass wire from the low .040 range up to .062. For prop lures, or ones that don't need tuning, I use the highest grade stainless I can get.
I usually find it in hobby stores or welding supply houses but it is often difficult to find. Because of that, we're planning on adding it to the estore soon.
I really don't have any favorites as most of the best ones I've used were homemade!
Good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions