making soft plastics for rock fish?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

making soft plastics for rock fish?

Postby thumbar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 am

hi larry i've been a long time fan. i grew up in stevens point wis. and your time on in fisherman helped my very much explore difrent ways to fish the waters of my home state. thanks again. now my question, i now live in portland or. and have been learning to fish the jettys on the coast for rock fish. swim bait and twister tails catch fish when there active but i've found that the inactive fish respond to the twitch baits that are used in dropshot fishing work well threaded on a jig. i would like to start making my own, since the sportshops out here have limited stock on hand and i can't find exactly what i want in the cataloges. i don't know where to start, so could ya point me in the right direction? is the large kit got what i need to mold jigs and bodies i would like to mold the soft-plastic's around the jigs like the Storm swim baits. the black rock fish is what i catch mostly and the strikes are fairly agressive. so they rip the baits off the jig head. i would like to stop that form happening!
thumbar

Re: making soft plastics for rock fish?

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi T
THe large kit has some basic "catch-all" molding stuff, but not all or exactly what you need. I'd strongly suggest picking up a copy of the lure making dvd and you'll know just what you need to know for making the lures you're describing.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions