To guide or not to guide ?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

To guide or not to guide ?

Postby J Mac » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am

Dear Mr. Dahlberg

To start, I just want to say I am a huge fan of your show and I learn so much from watching it, I truly believe that the show has made me a more observant and better all around angler.
To start I thought I would tell you a little bit about my self before I get to the overall point of this letter. I am a student at Cape Fear College in Wilmington North Carolina and I am Majoring in Marine Technology, thanks to this program I am also one of the youngest certified captains in the state. I absolutely love fishing primarily for Red Drum but I am not byast towards any other fish, it’s just that Red Drum or kind of my favorite. After watching your show I have recently started to pursue Drum on fly and man is that fun there are some days when all I do is fish with a fly rod.
My question is, I have a great interest in taking this Drum addiction of mine to the next level and start guide fishing. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for me. The do’s the don’ts ECT. I really value your opinion because of your vast experience with fishing and I am sure dealing with other guides.

Thank you for your time
Captain Justin McDonald
J Mac

Re: To guide or not to guide ?

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 01, 2009 8:32 am

Hi J
Making career choices is never easy. I'm no expert at this kind of advice (I relate better to fish, little kids and dogs than I do people most of the time) but here's what I think matters:
1) Do what you do well and enjoy
2) Do it in conjunction with those in whom you have trust, confidence and respect.
3) Have some kind of equity in the endeavor.
If one of those three things is missing, you may look back with regret.

Regarding guiding, it's not an easy way to make a living, and you're not going to get rich, but it's a great way to stay connected to the natural world and provides an unequaled opportunity share it with others. Be respectful, patient, always early, and take your guest by the hand and lead them though the experience in such a way that the passion that fuels you inspires them as well!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions