Botom Fishing prefrences.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Botom Fishing prefrences.

Postby MIAdlphnHUNTr » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm making my first trip to Bimini in mid May. I'd really like to hook up on some bottom dwellers. (Mutton, reds, grouper) I've noticed some guys use heavier spinners, where as others use conventional reels. Is there some advantages between the two, I'm looking at two reels right now. ( Stradic 8000 or Shimano TLD series). Any suggestions on bottom fishing techniques or Bimini would be great.
MIAdlphnHUNTr

Re: Botom Fishing prefrences.

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 am

Hi M
Good question. The big spinning reel with provide you with lightening fast retrieves which can be a big plus when butterfly jigging.
The TLD, especially the 2 speeds, with give you lots more winching power.
If you plan on using live bait for most of your fishing and keeping the beasts out of the bottom is a big factor I'd go with a conventional reel.
If you're doing a combination of jigging and other things the spinning reel may be more versatile. Check out the butterfly and Lucanus jigging stuff on the Shimano website. It's pretty interesting, and very effective on the species you are targeting.
Regardless of which reel you choose, or whether you are fishing lures or livies, I strongly suggest you pair it with a Trevala jigging rod. They are simply amazing for muscling big fish, without half killing the angler in the process!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions