OK BOYS FIGURE THIS ONE OUT.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

OK BOYS FIGURE THIS ONE OUT.

Postby Steve T » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:58 am

I’ll make this brief. I bought a new spool of power pro 40 LB braid. Spooled it on a baitcaster. 130 yards. Used it on wed. 4/22 in salt water. I didn’t latch onto anything to fray the line, my guides are good (new pole) I cleaned with fresh water. About 50 casts. The lure was a little jig head.

Used it on Sun 4/26 about the 25th cast SNAP!!!!!!!!!! Off goes the lure and about 10 yards of line. I retreived the line and it had a little tail like break.

BRAID strong?????
Steve T
Steve T

Re: OK BOYS FIGURE THIS ONE OUT.

Postby jrzrider83 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 am

i have never had problems with power pro but i have heard others swear off using it for the exact same reason you have experienced. mysterious break offs. most have attributed it to quality control issuses from the factory. but now since they have been bought by shimano hopefully that will improve. and hopefully they will produce a PE quality line as well.
kayak angler
jrzrider83

Postby Bantam1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:35 am

PE line uses Dyneema fibers which are not nearly as strong as Spectra. Spectra fibers are used to make Kevlar which help stop bullets in body armor.

Send an email through the Power Pro website. We have a form you can fill out to send along with some of your line for testing. We will replace the line under warranty for you.

www.powerpro.com
Bantam1

Postby eric83 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:27 am

if you had some backlashes or win-knots in your line along with wear from structure, sometimes when you throw out a heavy lure you get the snap" I think that any one that fish's braid for a while runs into this. I run braid on everything, adding floro, or wire for what im doing but Ive only had problems on baitcasting equipment, never on spinnig. well anyway send it in and maybe you can get new line. goodluck
eric83

Return to Saltwater Questions