Surf fishing SoCal

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Surf fishing SoCal

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Hello again,
I have gone fishing a couple of times to a near beach but haven't have any luck, no problem though, it has been great practice and I'm getting ready for summer. I was wondering what to use if I'm fishing with an open face reel. Is there a type of hard or soft lure or live bait that would work good around here? I have been told that corbinas are very common here.
Thanks for the help.
beachlessbeachbum

Re: Surf fishing SoCal

Postby ThomT » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:37 pm

My rule of thumb is to try and match the bait that is in your area. Here on the east coast for stripers bunker is the a some that they feed on so when bunker is around I match my lure to something that looks like bunker. IN other words try and match the hatch. I usaly carry both Hard and soft as well as metal lures in my surf bag when Im fishing.
ThomT

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks Thom T. Still not sure what bait is available around here (Santa Monica, Malibu and Topanga Canyon Beach). A while back I bought a ton of saltwater lues like CD Magnums and such but it seems like that is not the best choice for shore fishing.
What kind of hard lures are you throwing?
Thanks for the help.
beachlessbeachbum

Postby Bantam1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 am

If you are going for serf perch then get some of those Gulp sandworms. Cut them into 2-3" pieces and carolina rig them. They seem to get the job done. You can also try swimbaits like Big Hammers in the surf, Crockodiles (spelling?) work well on soft bottoms for Halibut. It all depends on the cover and what fish you are trying for. When all else fails dig up some sand crabs and use them for bait. You might get a Corvina or some sort of croaker.
Bantam1

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 am

Sandworms, funny I was checking out some at a store yesterday but since I wasn't sure I put them back...Should I be using circle hooks for that and what size? I guess big top water lures won't do much for me around there, right?
Hey, thanks tons for all the help!
beachlessbeachbum

Postby ThomT » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Bombers, Mambo minnows, Spro 65 for soft stuff mostly wildeyes with some big Slugos and Fin S fish. for metal Hopkins and Kastmaster with Kastmasters being my favorite hunk of metal. I also throw some Poppers and a live ell every once is a while. THomT
ThomT

Postby Bantam1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am

[quote="beachlessbeachbum"]Sandworms, funny I was checking out some at a store yesterday but since I wasn't sure I put them back...Should I be using circle hooks for that and what size? I guess big top water lures won't do much for me around there, right?
Hey, thanks tons for all the help![/quote]

I just use an Owner Mosquito hook and nose hook the plastic. I'm sure if you are close enough to some kelp then you can use the MC Slug to get some Calico. A surface iron around boiler rocks might work as well. I fish down in OC mostly so that is a majority of my experience. No I will not give up my spots lol
Bantam1

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:53 pm

Cool, thanks. I got some Rapala poppers and skitter walks that I want to use around, I just love top water action.
I can't wait to hit Santa Monica and Malibu.
beachlessbeachbum

Postby YakMan » Sun May 31, 2009 11:21 am

[quote="beachlessbeachbum"]Hello again,
I have gone fishing a couple of times to a near beach but haven't have any luck, no problem though, it has been great practice and I'm getting ready for summer. I was wondering what to use if I'm fishing with an open face reel. Is there a type of hard or soft lure or live bait that would work good around here? I have been told that corbinas are very common here.
Thanks for the help.[/quote]

For small fish on the Central Coast and we use 2" grubs (motoroil color) for barred surf perch using a #1 mosquito hook ... light tackle - a trout pole w/ 4lb. test and maybe a 3/8 oz. weight 18" up from the hook .... get out in the waves and its on. You'll be surprised how many you catch 10-15' out standing in ankle high water. Also dig in the sand for sand crabs - i bring my daughter and she has a blast finding my bait

Halibut are hit and miss from the surf ... in my experience mostly a miss ... but they do get em up here ... live anchovy or sardines - live squid if you can find them
YakMan

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks yakman, very useful info.
beachlessbeachbum

Return to Saltwater Questions