Rooster Fish

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rooster Fish

Postby GaffHook01 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I think these are one of the most underestimated fighting fish and not many look as cool with there distinct 5-6 10" back fins. They need to be at least 20-30 pound class to have that big or many of fins, What a cool looking good and fighting fish to bad the only good place left to catch them is in Cost Rica and Panama local, I've been to both PVR & MZT Mexico but only caught the 5-10 pound class, Still worth the fight always caught and released. Best luck I've had was fishing around 15-30ft depth and in rocky areas. Braided line is a plus my favorite is Berkley Whiplash smooth casting, spools nice and sound quiet when fish is ripping it off and not as hard on your rod guides doesn't have that lumpy/glumpy stuff like spiderwier or fireline, Berkley Whiplash is real big/popular in the UK you can find it in the States but there calling the new stuff Spiderwier Sealth. Whiplash has been discontinued for well over a year.
Good Luck All
Mike
Last edited by GaffHook01 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
A Man's Got To Know His Limitation's
GaffHook01

Re: Rooster Fish

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:12 am

I agree, they are great fish! Bat Islands are the mecca.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby GaffHook01 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:48 pm

What do you think of this charter service in Costa Rica (Bat Islands) Papagayo Sport Fishing?
A Man's Got To Know His Limitation's
GaffHook01

Postby curtisballardsr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm

i have found manzanillo, colima, mexico has a surprising number of roosterfish the winter months. i Have fished mostly surf for rooster, but have hooked 6 fish in the 35-50 range in the last 5 years of fishing for them. honesty honored, i have yet to land one out of the surf, as they tend to be in the area during the toughest conditions (big waves and heavy wind and tides). i have gotten them from boats, also the same size, but easier to land. great fish, and always released due to bad taste, not even the locals eat them. i have fished the manzanillo area for more than 35, family in the area, and have caught sails to 135 , dorado to 60 and pargo (rock fish) to 50, all on 15 lb. test and dead boat stand up fishing. i would recommend to area in the oct-fed time frame, both for surf and boat.
curtisballardsr

Return to Saltwater Questions