Braided Line

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Braided Line

Postby Steve T » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:56 am

Larry,

I'm asking this question because I like the thin aspect and strength of braid line, but it can be a pain when casting.

I tried using braid line once and had trouble. I kept getting tangles when casting. ((spinning reel) Quantum boca 60 to be exact)) I went back to conventional line. I stripped the braid line off and later used it on my smaller spinning reels for skipjack blues in my local salt pond.

I got a few tangles on the small tackle but not as often. As I used the line more and more I didn’t get as many.

Am I dreaming or did the line get fewer tangles as it got more wear. I did notice that there was a coating on the line that wore off as it got older. Is this the issue or is it me.

Steve
Steve T
Steve T

Re: Braided Line

Postby Henry Schmidt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:24 pm

I dont use spinning tackle but I have also struggled with superlines for a few years. Every now and then I try them again but am never satisfied. I just as well change mono when it gets to much memory. Its all about confidence and I will never have confidence in a non clear line. I actually found superlines to tangle less when new and stiffer. Good luck.
Henry Schmidt

Postby carliandres » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi Steve,
I've never had any problem whatsoever with my braided line...In fact, I cast further than I used to and the added bonus of some extra yards in my spool.
I spool powerpro 30 lbs my Stradic5000 FI for inshore/offshore fishing....A friend of mine uses powerpro too, he got tangles when over-spooling the reel.
Hope this helps :)
Carlos Andrés Patiño Milanes
Barranquilla, Cartagena/ Colombia

"In the end, we will conserve only what we love, love only what we understand, understand only what we are taught"
Baba Dioum.

http://www.youtube.com/user/carliandres?feature=mhee
carliandres

Postby Steve T » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:59 am

O.K. thanks guys. Let me ask this.........if my reel takes 150 yds of 12 lb line what is the best size and amount of braid?

How is Fireline by the way???
Steve T
Steve T

Postby Bionic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:47 am

On the topic of braid, I have used several and prefer the power pro. I really don't use mono anymore.
If you are using braid on a spinning reels I suggest closing the bail manually. This will help eliminating
loops in your line. I have almost no problems with braid now, but I also having been using it now for
years. It definately has it's advantages.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby carliandres » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:13 am

[quote="Steve T"]O.K. thanks guys. Let me ask this.........if my reel takes 150 yds of 12 lb line what is the best size and amount of braid?

How is Fireline by the way???[/quote]

Hi Steve!
Like Bionic said, I use powerpro too....only powerpro...... and have no complaints......I tie the powerpro into a swivel using a palomar knot.
Here is the pound test conversion for the powerpro and the equivalent diameter in mono....

Pound Test Conversion
10 lb. test = 2 lb. Monofilament Diameter
15 lb. test = 4 lb. Monofilament Diameter
20 lb. test = 6 lb. Monofilament Diameter
30 lb. test = 8 lb. Monofilament Diameter
40 lb. test = 10 lb. Monofilament Diameter
50 lb. test = 12 lb. Monofilament Diameter
65 lb. test = 16 lb. Monofilament Diameter
80 lb. test = 18 lb. Monofilament Diameter
100 lb. test = 20 lb. Monofilament Diameter

I think it depends....if you want more yards or just more strength to pull the fish.......
I like to fill my spool (Stradic FI 5000) with Powerpro 20 - 30 lb....I think that you could use this pound test too...but mainly you should choose it depending on your needs and the species you fish for.

"In the end, we will conserve only what we love, love only what we understand, understand only what we are taught"
Baba Dioum.

carliandres

Postby bmac » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:35 am

[quote="Steve T"]O.K. thanks guys. Let me ask this.........if my reel takes 150 yds of 12 lb line what is the best size and amount of braid?

How is Fireline by the way???[/quote]
All depends what you're fishing for and how you're doing it. Smaller super lines are more difficult to manage. They certainly have their uses like finesse fishing and ultralight crankbait and topwater. If you're looking for a good match for 12lb mono, I recommend you look at superlines between 15 and 30. Again, it all depends on what you're trying to do. I personnaly love Fireline. I use 14lb on a Stradic 4000 and 20lb on a Stradic 5000. My go to rigs for plug fishing and metal jig fishing for stripers.
Jacksonville, NC
McKee Craft Marathon 184
Cobra Fish N Dive
Have Rod Will Travel
bmac

Postby Steve T » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:36 am

Again thanks guys,
Just a clarification, If my bait caster takes 150 yards of 12 lb. mono, how many yards of braid would it take?
Steve T
Steve T

Postby carliandres » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 am

[quote="Steve T"]Again thanks guys,
Just a clarification, If my bait caster takes 150 yards of 12 lb. mono, how many yards of braid would it take?[/quote]

Hi Steve,
I think that if your baitcaster holds 150 yds of 12 lb mono it should take aprox. about 225 - 250 yds of braid (Powerpro 30 lbs...equivalent diameter in mono 8 lbs).

Baba Dioum.

carliandres

Return to Saltwater Questions