surf fishing for kingfish

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

surf fishing for kingfish

Postby andrew.robinson1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi, what would be the best artificial bait for kingfish in the surf for kingfish in the tampa area?
andrew.robinson1

Re: surf fishing for kingfish

Postby dahlberg » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:55 am

Hi A
Not sure, since I've not done it, but if I were to do it I'd start out with some kind of surface iron I could pitch a mile and reel in at warp 10! Either that or fish livies off a kite if I had an off shore wind.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby andrew.robinson1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 pm

hi, cool thanks for the tip. i will have to try it when they come in. i don't have a fishing kite so just my big crock spoon should hopefully do it.
andrew.robinson1

Postby MJEdens » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:25 am

Hay Andrew, Try fish off one of the pires, if you are in Tampa Bay. The skyway fishing pier, the old skyway bridge, is good place all the way out on the end. try useing a large spoon, or flashey bait reeled, at warp 10 speed. Or use live greenbacks the largest you can find, or live cigar minnos. I fish them on a baloon let the tide drift them back away from the bridge, or pier. another good pier is Ft. Desoto park fishing pier on the north end. It is at the mouth of Tampa Bay. Surf fishing for them is not too good because of the shallow water. also watch for schools of greenbacks on the surface, and working birds. Thro to them, and hang on I went Yesterday to Skyway and caugh good sized Spanish mackerl, and small gag grouper. Tight lines and bent poles to you MJEdens.....
MJEdens

Return to Saltwater Questions