Conventional Rod

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Conventional Rod

Postby adambomb54 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:34 pm

How have you been, Larry?
Since fishing season is right around the corner I am looking for a new saltwater conventional rod to replace and old heavy one I'm not too fond of. I was just wondering what one would better suit me and since Shimano is the only rod I consider buying anymore I thought who better to ask.
I will be using this rod from a boat for live lining both bunker (atlantic menhaden, pogie, etc.) and eels, and also deep drop fishing using three way set ups and sinkers up to 24 ounces. Would you go with the Trevala series (6'6" MH) or the Tallus (7' MH).
As for the reel, I already have an old Penn Senator 4/O loaded with 50# PowerPro. I would love to put a Torium on the rod, but since the Senator was free (found it in my grandpa's basement) and in perfect working order I figured I would give it a shot.
Thanks and best of luck this season,
Adam
adambomb54

Re: Conventional Rod

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi A
I think I'd go with the Trevala, maybe even the heavy if you're using 24 oz with any regularity.
Good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Conventional Rod

Postby adambomb54 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Larry thanks for the recommendation.

The place we fish in Long Island Sound is pretty famous, not sure if you've heard of it, but its called "The Race", if you look on a map just below Conn. is Fisher's Island. The western tip the island to the edge of Little Gull Island, west of Fisher's, is the spot. If my memory serves me correctly it's one of only two places in the world where the tides meet and it also goes from very shallow (about 15 feet) to very deep (all the way down to 200 feet in some places). So when the tide is cranking we use 16-24 oz sinkers on average. Also if you ever have the chance it is an amazing place to fish. Stripers up to 60 pounds can be taken out of here and late in the season gorilla bluefish are everywhere. Hopefully one day I'll see my backyard on HFBF! Any questions about the fishery just ask and I'll be glad to answer.

Adam
adambomb54

Return to Saltwater Questions