Fluorocarbon leaders/shock tippets for sailfish

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Fluorocarbon leaders/shock tippets for sailfish

Postby longcasts » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:00 am

Larry, I am planning a trip this summer flyfishing for sailfish in the Sea of Cortez. What is your take on using Fluorocarbon for leader construction and for a shock tippet. I will also be trying to target large Dorado. Is there a brand that you find superior? How about leader construction-- will a 8 - 9 foot leader do the job; and also do I need to go to a 100 lb. shock tippet? I'm sure I thanked you for the tip on Owner SSW hooks for large tarpon, if not thanks again. Bob
longcasts

Re: Fluorocarbon leaders/shock tippets for sailfish

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:10 am

Hi L
Actually, no need for fluorocarbon since neither of these fish are leader shy. Also, no need for a long leader either. You will want at least 100# shocker for the sails, their beaks are pretty abrasive. Just be sure you wait for them to turn after they bite the fly before you tighten up on them. Also be really careful about "high sticking" your flyrod when they get close to the boat. Sometimes it can take as long to get them the last few feet and close enough to beak them as it takes to get them to the boat and it's really tempting to "over lift". I'll often climb up a few steps on the ladder that leads to the bridge so I can lift with a low rod angle (keeping the stress in the butt section rather than the tip) when they're close, but directly below the boat.
I've found fluorocarbon lines to be quite inconsistent and not as reliable as good hard mono when it comes to knots.
I don't have a favorite, but I'm still looking for one!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions