Homemade Solid Wood Poppers/Stickbaits

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Homemade Solid Wood Poppers/Stickbaits

Postby Grandpa21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:21 am

Larry,

Could you recommend a place to purchase different types of wood to make solid wood saltwater poppers/stickbaits? These lures (many Japanese) many times sell for ridiculous prices. Although some of it is about eventually saving some money, I like to tinker and catch fish on lures I make/tie myself. Any info you could give me to point me in the right direction would be a great help (i.e. websites, books, articles, etc.).I really enjoyed the episodes you have done in your workshop making lures and explaining the mechanics and history behind them. Any plans in the near future to do a show on solid wood through-wire constructed poppers/stickbaits? And possibly go further into the buoyancy characteristics of different types of wood?

Thanks!

p.s. After that last episode I can see why you told me to steer clear of India...pretty filthy looking indeed! Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Grandpa21

Re: Homemade Solid Wood Poppers/Stickbaits

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 am

Hi g
If you're near a rural area I'd suggest going directly to someone who's got a little sawmill. They'll often give you scraps large enough to make lures.
I used to get white cedar from retired electric poles but those days are long gone. Decoy carving suppliers have bass wood.
I've never read any books or articles about lure making so I can't help you there. Don't be afraid to just rely on your own yankee ingenuity! I look at it like I look at letting my 5 year old granddaughter cut my hair. If it doesn't turn out just right, who cares, it'll grow back and we'll start over!
One suggestion though, making lures is a bit like reloading bullets. You've got to mess with it and do some fine tuningto get the best results. Location of connection points is critical on most lures. If you use brass wire rather than stainless they are much easier to tune.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Grandpa21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks for the info! I'm in Tidewater VA so I might be able to find some decoy carving suppliers around here. What woods do you like the best for larger topwater/swim lures for the salt? Looking on other forums some guys have been using solid PVC or HDPE because of the sealant on wooden lures becoming compromised by toothy fish therefore causing the lures to get waterlogged and not work properly. I guess the trick there would be to get something with a similar density to wood to obtain the proper Buoyancy characteristics and hope the paint sticks! Would you say the two part material you were using to pour molded baits would stand up to tuna, snapper, and possibly GT's? Could you suggest a pourable material that would?

Thanks again!
Grandpa21

Postby dangerousjob1706 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 am

Hi Grandpa21,

If you go to a web site called "engineeringtoolbox.com" they have countless charts concerning specific gravity, density, and hardness of wood as well various other materials such as plastics and resins. One trick we use in New England with wood plugs and poppers is soak them in waterseal before painting, it stops them from becoming waterlogged. Even works on bluefish plugs. Best of luck.

Bo
dangerousjob1706

Postby 69bbqs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:42 am

Check out your local lumber yard for scrap wood.
69bbqs

Postby rhahn427 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Grandpa21 ......... I'm in Baltimore and I fish from the CBBT to the Suskie flats ........ email me @ rhahn427@yahoo and let's compare notes

Thanks
Rick

PS ..... will bi in your area next weekend
rhahn427

Postby flyfishfan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23 am

i have been making (turning) lures on a small JET lathe for years. i lived in NJ and found great wood and a local mill somewhere around Trenton. I used Purpleheart, Mahogany and some other woods. I would be interested in sharing some photos and and plans you have> i have some old articles I'd be happy to scan and share.
flyfishfan

Postby lildave » Sat May 02, 2009 8:09 pm

I have had great success using cypress for my homemade stickbaits. I use the through-wire method with stainless only. The wood should be completely dry, then saturate with thinned epoxy, like West Marine. After a light sanding, and more epoxy, you can then paint with any good enamel, or, better, epoxy paint. These have proven to be very durable in both salt and fresh water applications. I live in South Louisiana and fish both regularly.
lildave

Return to Saltwater Questions