Islamorada Tarpon Fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Islamorada Tarpon Fishing

Postby Erwin.Reguindin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:57 pm

Hey Larry,
First off I’m a huge fan! I’m planning a trip at the beginning of April to Islamorada Florida and I’m staying at the Caribbean Resort. The resort has a long pier that stretches out about 450 feet into the water. Apparently the resort says there is night fishing for snook and tarpon, but I’m a little skeptical as to how successful I will be. I’m from Washington State and primarily fish Salmon in rivers using a Lamiglas 8’6” Medium Heavy rod (MBC 86MH) and this is what I plan on brining to fish the mighty Silver King. You think this is a mistake? I know tarpon can weigh upwards of 250lbs, but do you think the rod can handle something upwards of 100lbs? I’ve got my reel spooled with 300 yards of 30lb Fireline attached to 6’ of 80 mono. I’ve attached my mainline to the leader using a knot I learned from the internet (http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/Art ... knot.shtml). The knot allows for a small knot that doesn’t get caught up in the eyes of the rod. So what do you think of the set up?

As far as bait and lures, I’m brining some Storm WildEye Sardine and Shad swimbaits, Buzzbombs, Zzingers, P-Line butterfly jigs, and some other soft plastics in the form of swimbaits and crabs. I know that the World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro Shops) is right down the street from the resort so I was thinking of picking up some live bait (mullets).

I know I just threw a bunch of gibberish at you, but any constructive criticism would be a great help. Thanks a bunch and TIGHT LINES!

Sincerely,
Erwin Reguindin
Last edited by Erwin.Reguindin on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin.Reguindin

Re: Islamorada Tarpon Fishing

Postby ThomT » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 am

I haven't done much tarpon fishing but I have caught a couple from a boat right down the road from where you are staying. My guess you rod isn't heavy enough to turn the fish when the take off and you can't follow like you can with a boat but my biggest question is how are you going to remove the hook from the fish at the pier.

When I caught my tarpon we were using cut bait on the bottom in early apr. big on was between 100 and 120 pounds smaller one about 40 to 50 pounds. I also caught one shark one small blacktip I had a ball and my arms were sore the next day.

Have fun and good luck

ThomT
ThomT

Return to Saltwater Questions