shark fishing at the mouth of the columbia river?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

shark fishing at the mouth of the columbia river?

Postby tales of a trout bum » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 pm

i really need to catch a shark!!! i went to Hawaii (big island) and logged in hours and hours of trying.(boggled a few of the locals minds as to even why i was doing this) now i am back in Washington and i refuse to give up. soon i an going to the mouth of the the Columbia river (washington side, the north jetty)

so my questions are:

what kind of sharks are there?
what are the feeding habits? (do they like surf perch?)
how should i approach said shark?
tackle suggestions?

here's an other off beat question for ya.

do you think it would be okay (legal) to fish for sturgeon and salmon at the same time on the same pole? by throwing a sturgeon rig first then using a weighted slide bait with a herring plug, spin-glo.

i have researched all of the washington fishing rules cover to cover. i haven't found any thing saying i can't, nor have i found any thing saying i can. so i called the department of F/W. they had no idea what i was talking about. ergo i still have no good answer.

any help would be great
tales of a trout bum

Re: shark fishing at the mouth of the columbia river?

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:36 am

HI T
I'm not sure of the answer to any of your questions. Although, if there are no laws outlawing multiple hooks I don't see why your double rig wouldn't be ok. (other than the mess you might end up with if you hook a fish!)
I'd check with either the local bait shops or the DNR regarding sharks.
sorry I couldn't be of more help.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: shark fishing at the mouth of the columbia river?

Postby tales of a trout bum » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:19 pm

thanks for the info, i'll try out your suggestions. the two bait salmon/sturgeon rig should be simple, looks good on paper. i guess the real world application will prove it's worthiness or not. i want to tell you all about it, but i am sure that you get it. just a proud papa of a thought.

the show you did in texas with the alligator gar was awesome. how did it feel? the closest i have come is an over sized sturgeon. he nosed himself down in the rocks for about half an hour. heres a trick you may or may not of heard about or used. when your fish noses down and shows no sign of coming out of the rocks i use a chewing tobacco slide in a mesh bag. the "tea" around their whiskers and lateral line really pisses them off! they'll nose out fast. works great on cat fish too.

the lure making show was very enlightening also. the weighted butt caps! what a great idea! so spent the next couple of hours getting all my poles "perfect". my wrists would like to extend a great deal gratitude to you. now if you could do me a favor and point to your head and say, "not just a hat rack my friend"!

are you a myspace user? if so i have a tales of a trout bum page there. not much there right now. mostly because it's new, nut it's growing. maybe you could check it out and throw a blog up there?

the address is myspace.com/talesofatroutbum

may the fish be with you
tales of a trout bum

Return to Saltwater Questions