Fluke Jigs

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Fluke Jigs

Postby Jignpro » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 am

Larry
I wanted to know if you know of any good quality Jigheads that I could use from 1-6 oz for fluke fishing. I use the spro bucktails because of their action but I need a jighead to put the Berkeley Gulp grubs onto for the big doormats. Any suggestions P.S. I was wondering if you could do a show on fluke fishing (possibly jigging) in the northeast coast because it is a very popular fish here and many people would be interested especially me on how to catch the big doormats. Thanks -Brendan
Jignpro

Re: Fluke Jigs

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 am

Hi J
I'm familiar with, but really know nothing about fluke fishing in the NE. My only experience that might apply would be with halibut. Regarding jig heads, it's all about the hook. I'm not sure if owner makes heads as big as you need, but the ones they have are really good.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby adambomb54 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Brendan,
I live in CT and I have a buddy that fluke fishes all day and night, thats pretty much the only fish he targets. He too uses the Spro bucktails, but he modifies them. He will crimp a cable to the main hook about 2 to 2.5 inches long and on the end of that he will crimp either a 2/0-4/0 treble hook. Similar set ups are used for walleye in fresh water and I believe its called a "stinger hook" set up (Larry correct me if I'm wrong). Now attach a squid strip or a fluke ribbon if you have caught others and filleted them, stretch it tight and then put the treble through it. That will handle pretty much any fluke you will come across. Just when it hits, as you probably know, let it eat its way up to the hook.

Good Luck,
Adam
adambomb54

Postby dangerousjob1706 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 am

Brendan,
I also live in CT and fluke fish alot. I have found that a jig head with a spinner blade, small verison of Larry's Halibit jig set-up, works really well drifting and letting the spinner bounce on the bottem.

Bo
dangerousjob1706

Postby Jignpro » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Hey thanks. I know about the spros and I use them alot but since there is no barb to make the grub stick on them I have a problem after about 4 fish because they tear the grub right off the hook. That jig and spinner where can I see that?
Jignpro

Postby dangerousjob1706 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 am

Be Aware,

If you are fishing in Long Island Sound be alert about where you fish for fluke and flounder. The reason that I say this is because by the CT River the fluke and flounder will not bite much because the amount of food there is so plentiful they can afford to be picky about what they eat. At the northern and extreme southern points where food is not so plentiful they will eat almost anything they can.

Best wishes,
Bo
dangerousjob1706

Postby flukeman » Sat May 02, 2009 11:07 am

Where can I get the cable Jignpro mentions,to create a stringer hook on spro jigs?
flukeman

Postby adambomb54 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:31 pm

BassPro sells 49 strand wire that you can actually tie with a uni-knot. If that doesn't work, go to a local hardware store or bait shop and get small cable that the fluke can't bite through. If you go that route just make sure you crimp it well enough.
adambomb54

Postby flukeman » Mon May 04, 2009 5:09 am

adambomb54..... you suggest Basspro is this like Dicks sporting goods store? If I can't get 49 strand wire,how do you suggest the crimp-- with small split shots? Thanks for your help :)
flukeman

Postby adambomb54 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 pm

flukeman, if you go online to basspro.com you can order wire, metal sleeves, and anything you need for fishing. They are a superstore like Cabela's. As for the crimp, find a small gauge wire strong enough that the fluke won't bite through it, put it around the middle of the hook on the jighead, double it up, slide a small metal sleeve, about a half inch or inch in length, and crimp that baby on. my friend uses small treble hooks on the other end of the wire and his catches have more than doubled. That back stinger hook makes a ton of difference. Use about a 2/0 or 3/0 treble and connect it the same way. Best of luck,
Adam
adambomb54

Postby flukeman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 am

Adam.
Thanks,Bass Pro Shop is a great place.
Thanks for your help,Flukeman
flukeman

Return to Saltwater Questions