Question about surf fishing in Cabo San Lucas

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Question about surf fishing in Cabo San Lucas

Postby Ryan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:52 am

Hey Larry,

First off, great job on the show. It's my favorite fishing show on TV by far. I was wondering you have a few minutes to kill sometime could you give me your opinion on how I should approach a particular fishing spot? My dad has a time share in Cabo San Lucas, he usually goes with my step mom every year or so. I went once with them 3 years ago, while I was on the beach I noticed a bunch off rocks piles in the surf zone that continued out into deeper water for a few hundred feet. I've personally never fished there but on one of my dad's prior trips he caught some rooster fish and big neon colored sting rays in that area. I'm sure theres many other fish species there but my knowledge of the local fish found in the surf is weak at best.

I was wondering what kind of set-up/bait you suggest? I was thinking about tossing some jigs or swimbaits out there, but I'm kind of concerned about the strong current, getting hung up on rocks, and finding a lure heavy enough so my casts will cover the distance. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not going until June, so if you do decide to respond theres no rush. Thanks again for your time.

-Ryan

P.S.
If you're curious or wanted a more detailed description of the spot, there is a pretty good imagine of it on google maps(satellite).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

After opening the link, zoom in at the very tip of Baja, where the sea of cortez meets the pacific. Once you locate the harbor follow the coastline around the point, and continue you west until you see a random exposed sandbar in the surf zone. Directly east of that sandbar, there is a bunch of rocks about 600 feet away. This is the particular spot I'm referring to.
Ryan

Re: Question about surf fishing in Cabo San Lucas

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:36 am

Hi R
I'd try a couple of different things:
1) Toss something that rides up on the surface when you move it quickly, like the surf jigging spoon I illustrated in a workshop episode recently
2) If you get an offshore wind, flying a kite out with bait
3) On the top of the outgoing tide, float out bait on a balloon.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby LST-Ray » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Hey Ryan,
I went surf fishing in Mexico last year. I am from MA and do my share of surf fishing but the waves seem to be a little brutal down there. Use extreme caution when wading. The wave action will erode the sand from your feet and can pull you in.
With that said, a long surf rod (approx 11 feeet) will be helpful. It will allow you to deliver surface lures and metals the distance required to reach those gamefish. It will also aid in you keeping your line out of the waves to better control your presentation. Good Luck on your trip.
LST-Ray

Postby Grandpa21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Ryan,

Since I like topwater, mainly for the visual aspect, I would suggest throwing a mid/large sized popper or "chugger" using a 8-9' surf casting rod paired with a higher geared spinning reel. Although I have never caught a rooster (yet) I would tend to think that they are, like most jacks, relatively aggressive and eager to take topwater lures. I think getting a Rooster to take topwater would be extra special seeing that dorsal break the surface just before seeing the take!

The length and action of the rod (and size of the reel for that matter) should be directly proportional to the distance you are trying to cast the lure/bait and the associated weight of this lure/bait. If you are casting from rocks. Ask the guys on www.pierandsurf.com and they will give you some good ideas.

Good Luck.
Grandpa21

Postby Terra Ferma » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Where are you fishing in Cabo? Cabo proper tends to have more Sierra and Jacks. San Jose del Cabo has that plus roosters. The roosters seems to like the calmer areas surf wise, the Sierra and Jacks can be found in rougher surf and calmer surf.

I use the Ranger jigs for roosters, heavy jerk baits and gulp plastics for jacks. Although I don't shore fish for sierras, but I've seen people kill them on those clear floats with a hoochie traling behind. Although the rooster can be found at your feet, bring something that casts well as they often bust on bait a good ways out.
Terra Ferma

Return to Saltwater Questions