Mechanics

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Mechanics

Postby 69bbqs » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:46 am

Ha Larry saw your show last week end and love what you did to the rods. I custom make most my rods, however; I just bought 12 new Trevala jigging rods rods for an up cumming trip for the price & quality you cant beet them. I'm going to try that trick on the new rods.

Also say you trick with the RTV. I make 80% of my baits I tend to stay with wood mostly following the Creek Chub PIKE designs. The rewards are worth the time. I have use other material with not much success. I also make my molds from aluminum castings will RTV work on aluminum molds? Whats your take on man made material opposed to natural ie; buck tail. feathers?

I also would like your input on Braided line or so called super lines to mono? I fish 90% mono like the old saying goes light line big fish. I hooked and released 200-300lb class tuna at Hurricane Banks using 100lb mono, and 40-50lb class Salmon on 2-6lb test mooching. I feel braid takes the fun out of fishing. I have friends they swear by braid not me.

I also love your R & D shop Sweeeeeeet almost looks like mine.

I hope you have time to post. Your Show are one of a kind. Do you make dive gear?
69bbqs

Re: Mechanics

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 am

hi 69
Glad you like the show.
RTV is usually used to make protos before you go to aluminum.
I hear you with the mono. Sometimes the stretch is nice for a little cushion when you have to pull really hard on the big boys. Also give you a bit more forgiveness on very light line as well.
Can't beat the super lines for deep jigging, hook sets, control when trolling, etc. Like all choices we make in fishing there are plus's and minus's to each. The trick is finding the best compromise.
I don't make dive gear. The way I jerry-rig stuff, I wouldn't trust me to make anything of that nature!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Mechanics

Postby 69bbqs » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks Larry, Line is one of those you can't live withem and you can't live with out them. Deep jiging at what depth for brade?
69bbqs

Return to Saltwater Questions