SALTWATER JIGMAKING

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

SALTWATER JIGMAKING

Postby bmac » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:11 pm

I walked in a little late for today's "Hunt for Big Fish" on Versus. The episode was on making your lead and resin jigs. It was fascinating, but I missed most of the "how to." Do you have any on line instructions or a video? I could probably figure out how to make them if I knew the correct materials to buy. Those things looked awesome!
Jacksonville, NC
McKee Craft Marathon 184
Cobra Fish N Dive
Have Rod Will Travel
bmac

Re: SALTWATER JIGMAKING

Postby RI Popper » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:38 pm

it was using the silicone mold making material and filling it with the two part liquid plastic along with air beeds to make it boyant. Very cool result he got and I recommend finding a copy of it. Looks easy enough for anyone to do.

I'm a professional lure builder and I work in wood and acrylics. I alwayse enjoy watching Larry build from rubber and plastic. He comes up with some unique stuff. And necessity really is the driving force to his inventions.

Armand
RI Popper

Postby missing link » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Armond
YEA it's me Link, that show was interesting just found this site,and the show is cool also
Hope all is well
ML
missing link

Postby bmac » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Armand. I'm hoping someone can provide a little bit of detail in terms of the materials used and the steps involved. I've seen your work and you are a very gifted lure maker. I'm an avid fly tyer and I turn a few plugs now and then. I have fun doing it, but I'm a hacker compared to you. I had the good fortune of living in Newport for a year while I attended the Naval War College back in 2001-2002. Striper fishing off the rocks along Brenton Point, Sachuest and the Beavertail and fly fishing the flats up in Cape Cod are among my favorite fishing memories.
Jacksonville, NC
McKee Craft Marathon 184
Cobra Fish N Dive
Have Rod Will Travel
bmac

Postby LarryB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:27 pm

The same thing almost happened to me but I was able to get the video recorder going before to much happened. Most of the items that Larry used on Saturday's show have now been listed on the web store. The use of the flashabou mirage sheets and the minnow body material really gave me some ideas. I was not able to figure out how the holes in the center of each lure was done. Larry, did you use some type of release agent on the bicycle spoke or wire to creat those holes? Do you use any type of tubing in the hole center to protect the mono leader running through the center? Thanks for the instructional shows as they are great for us basement jig and lure makers. Maybe a topic for a future DVD.

Thanks,

LarryB
LarryB

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:39 am

Hi guys,
I use a spoke and pull it out with a drill. suppose a little release agent would be ok.
I'm still stumbling around making lures. I'm sure there's lots of techniques I've yet to discover.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby missing link » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:39 pm

I pour all my own jigs , well bucktail jigs like smiling bills and bullet jigs from 1oz to 5oz all with white tail deer dressing
mostly white
I also get my lead from the tire store ( FREE) if your a doit yourself guy get a mold and have fun I always use a sutiable mask for lead or just stay up wind when melting get a cheap melting pot or one of those single burners and a propane tank with a cast iron pot do not let H2O get into your lead pot it will be rejected violently and you will get burned many of the other sites related to this subject will help as far as painting jig heads I use powder paint also easy to use even indoors
My heavy jigs are used for fishing the CC Canal ( Ma.) and the lighters ones are for slower tides and for Black Sea Bass & Fluke
ML
missing link

Return to Saltwater Questions