Which Rod Would You Choose?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Which Rod Would You Choose?

Postby adambomb54 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Larry,
Got another quick saltwater question for you. I was looking into getting another saltwater casting style set up as the one I have now is darn heavy. Its an old Penn Senator from the 80's I found in my grandpa's basement that still works like brand new, but after I while it can wear on you because I'm pretty sure the reel is at least 2 pounds. I was looking into getting a casting set up where I could throw lures and plugs, do some jigging, and even 3-way bottom fishing.
After what you told me about the Curado 300 and everything you've told everyone else I will most likely get that, if not that then the Calcutta. But my question is which rod would be better all around, a Compre 7' MH Muskie Rod or the Trevala 6'6" M or MH Jigging Rod? I saw you w/ the Trevala on the sailfish episode plus read what you said about them in other posts, but another salt water retailer said they would recommend Muskie rods for plugs, jigs, and bottom fishing for tautogs and fluke. Which one would you go with if you were me?
Much Appreciated,
Adam
adambomb54

Re: Which Rod Would You Choose?

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:56 am

HI AB
I'd go with the musky stick. The trevala rods are designed for jigging and yanking, there are better designs for casting.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions