Offshore Tides

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Offshore Tides

Postby Monstah » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Larry,

I'm reading a book right now intended to combine the latest science on fish behavior with oceanographic concepts to better educate those of us who try to catch fish in the ocean.

I'm primarily an in-shore guy, and so when I read a tide chart I see 'high tide' as the top of the tide when it slows, stops, and changes direction to go back out.

In this book I'm reading it says that when reading an offshore tide-chart, 'high tide' is the part of the incoming tide when the water is moving fastest, in the middle of the tide.

I've always assumed that at 'high tide' (or low) the water slows and stops, and it's a good time to eat lunch or move spots. But if I'm understanding correctly, high tide for offshore locations is exactly the opposite of this.

If you can shed some light on this it'd be greatly appreciated. Am I understanding this all wrong? How far out is 'off shore'?

Thanks for all you do for us anglers. You're an inspiration.

Steve
Monstah

Re: Offshore Tides

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 am

hi M
the subject of tides is absolutely fascinating. It's too detailed to get into here, but think of them as being created by the bulge in the ocean caused by the pull of gravity from celestial objects. Their total visible effect on land depends on the size, shape and orientation of the land they bump into. (the bay of Fundy has 60 foot tides!!!)
The Tide never stops!!! It just bumps into land, gets redirected or or left behind the orbiting objects that create the bulge in the first place!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions