New Rod (Black Fish)

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

New Rod (Black Fish)

Postby theseaking » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:43 pm

How you doing larry? love your show. I was wondering have you did any east coast black fishing? If so I'm looking for a new rod 7 feet, 15 to 30 pound range fast action sensitive tip, strong back. if you every fish for these super bait stealers you know they bite light and fight hard
Any help you can give would be appreciated.
:lol:
theseaking

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 pm

hi sk,
Thanks for the compliment!
check out the calcuttu inshore series. They're nice and light, but strong enough not to worry about pulling if you need to, plus have a better warranty than most of the other guys.
In truth, the ligher the rod in relation to its stiffness, the more sensitive it should be. Actually, no rod is "sensitive". You can prove it by holding the line between your finger and feeling a bite or even just the bottom with a sinker.
Add a rod and you can't feel what's going on at the end of your line as well. It gets less sensitivel
A rod is a vibration sink. Lighter rods rob less than heavier ones.
In the abscence of a sliding rig, a soft tip is felt less easily by the fish than a stiff one, but a stiff one would transfer more energy to your hand.
Now that I've confused the heck out of you, just keep track of what's going on with your fingers, make sure there's firmness before you set, and work on finding the perfect hook.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby extreme fisherman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:33 am

where are fishing for blacks ,i live in ny and fish for them all winter and spring .are fishing from a private or a party boat ...the best rods for blackfish are, sallow water in the spring with light weights useing fiddlers and soft baits -lami triflex series , and for deep water in the fall and winter we use the lami mb 114-3f cut to size 11 tip will handle sinkers to 12 oz and a calstar gfx800l cut to a size 9 tip is also a great tog rod for fishing the white crabs hope this helps if you have any questions send me a message
extreme fisherman

Return to Saltwater Questions