First Time Flats Fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

First Time Flats Fishing

Postby freas21 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Hey Larry,

I have never fished the flats before, and I was wondering if you knew of a nice place to get introduced to flats fishing outside of the keys and the U.S. I have caught lots of redfish and some tarpon, but really wanted focus on bonefish and permit. Please let me know if you know of a good place to go that has good english-speaking guides with nice accommodations and good fishing.

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge,

freas21
freas21

Re: First Time Flats Fishing

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 am

Hi F
Everyone in the bahamas speaks english and there are many bonefish operations there. It's been a while since I was there so I dont' have any up to date info. Both turniffe island and Ambergris in Belize have good flats and most of the belizians I've met spoke very good english. Again, no up to the minute info for you.
Flats fishing is really fun.
Some of the best in the world is found in the Seychelle Islands. Spendy but exotic and amazing, and again, english speaking guides.
The visual hunting aspect of flats fishing makes it really special and unique. Be sure to bring along a good pair of Costa sunglasses, and comfortable wading boots. Suggest you do a little googling to compare different places.
Where ever you choose to go, I hope you have great weather too!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:35 am

Amen to comfortable wading shoes! I havent found a comfortable pair yet. It would pay off to do some research and consider your foot shape and needs when you buy a pair.
Henry Schmidt

Postby freas21 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:32 am

Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post it has been very helpful.

Thanks again,

Freas21
freas21

Return to Saltwater Questions