Texas Gulfcoast

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Texas Gulfcoast

Postby sean.kerley » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:50 am

Mr. Dahlberg,
A couple of my Soldiers and I promised ourselves a fishing trip when we got back from Iraq, and it's time to go. We're renting a house with a pier on Salt Lake (Copano Bay) in Rockport, TX. We'll be going during Spring Break so I can take my 7 year old, and we're hoping to get into some Trout, Redfish, Flounder, Sheepsheap, and maybe a Puppy Drum or two. (I also wouldn't mind a Skate or a Ray) Problem is, none of us has any experience fishing for these things. I've caught a few flounder while fishing for Croaker in Virginia, but always as an incidental catch. If we're going to be fishing from a short pier into basically a lagoon, what kind of gear do we need? Please bear in mind, they still don't pay us much in the Army, so the less expensive, the better! Thanks in advance for any information.

Chris
sean.kerley

Re: Texas Gulfcoast

Postby Terry G. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33 am

Larry, let me help on this one.

Guys go here, these people as a lot of us believe in helping out - http://www.fishingforheroes.com/

get in touch with them (Good ol Texas people) and tell them Terry G. sent ya, they do donate fishing trips for service people when they can get donations for fuel from us locals .
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Terry and Sean,
Terry, you're a saint! Thanks for weighing in and sharing your connection with these guys, because I don't have any at all down there.
I can't think of a better cause.
Sean, can you send me your mailing address and your son's name?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Terry G. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm

ok heck, no problem L.

guys i forgot to mention they also provide gear if needed, i think they let you get your food and drinks, they can go in shore out or out in the blue water.
Terry G.

Postby sean.kerley » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Terry and Larry,
Thanks so much for your responses. I really didn't expect to see a response so quickly. Larry, I would be glad to send you my address, but I hesitate to just post it on the web for obvious reasons. I searched your website but couldn't find a 'contact' link or anything. Is there another way to get it to you? My email is sean.kerley@us.army.mil if that helps. My son's name is Phillip.
Terry, I had no idea something like what you mentioned existed...we will definitely check it out! I'm assuming that those folks will also have some region-specific info on what gear to bring for fishing from the house, I'll check that out as well.

Gentlemen, thanks again for your time and support

Sean (Chris) Kerley
sean.kerley

Postby Terry G. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm

no problem, ex USAF 62 to 66, (been around the bend ) thanks for the service guys, hope they can fix ya up...
Terry G.

Postby sean.kerley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Terry,
Darlene from fishing for heroes emailed me back within a couple of hours, and it looks like they'll be able to take care of it. I can't believe how cool this is! I've done alot of shore fishing in Virginia, but I've only fished from a boat once, and it was a load of fun. For the last 15 months, my fishing has been limited to Carp in Baghdad. Also fun, but it gets really old really quick and they wore out my drag :) I'm looking forward to wrestling some gator trout and maybe a bull red down there, and I deeply appreciate you steering me towards Darlene et al.

Thanks again, and tight lines!

Chris
sean.kerley

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 am

Hi terry and chris,
Looks like the first part of the mission is accomplished, thanks Terry! And also thanks to the fishing for heroes organization. Chris, I know it's not much, but I've got a couple signed Hunt Big Fish hats headed out in the mail for you and your son. Hope they'll bring you luck on the second phase; fishing, and having fun!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby sean.kerley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 am

Larry,
you saying it's not much doesn't mean it's not much. I've been watching your show for a good little bit now (when I'm not overseas) and my son LOVES it when we wear something that's the same. It'll mean alot to me and him both. Thank you!

Tight lines
Chris
sean.kerley

Postby sean.kerley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Phillip's face lit up when I told him the package we just got was matching hats for father and son. We love them, thank you so much for your generosity, and now a note from Phillip...

thank you I love these hats. I am 7 years old. I am happy about fishing with my Dad. and one time I caught 2 bass and my dad caught 0.

True story, he was 3 years old, and in my defense, I was spending far more time helping him than fishing on my own, but I got skunked. He landed 2 LMB, 2 crappie, and 3 redbreast sunfish. Cast by himself, set the hook by himself, and fought the fish by himself. Thanks again, Larry!
sean.kerley

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:33 am

Hi Guys,
Glad you got the hats!
Hope they bring you luck! Especially you, dad. Sounds like you could use an edge!
Seriously though, friendly competition is fun, but I suggest you save the score keeping for sports where score keeping matters and you've got a guy with a striped shirt, whistle and rule book telling you when you can start, stop and how many guys you have to have on the field.
The coolest, and most special thing about fishing to me is that it is totally is organic, not synthetic like all of our "ball" sports. (and don't get me wrong, ball sports are great, just different)
In fishing, the reward you get for accurately connecting with and observing the natural world is consistent success.
In today's world of synthetic sports and society, especially kids, retreating into a virtual world I think it's more important than ever to commune with what's really out there.
Thoreau said, " A lake is the landscapes more expressive feature, it is earths eye, gazing into which a man can judge the depth of his own soul." I can relate to that. He also said, "I'd rather sit single on a pumpkin than crowded on a velvet cushion." Hope you can relate to that one too!
Have a great fishing trip and be sure to let me know how it goes. I'd like to help get a fishing for heroes chapter started here in MN.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bionic » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Sean good luck on your trip and next time you head to Tampa let me know.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby sean.kerley » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks, Scott. And I will let you know if I'm gonna be in Tampa. Only about three weeks left til the trip to Rockport, and I can't wait!
sean.kerley

Postby cajunbob » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:50 pm

We have made it here. Larry it would be an honor to talk to you. Please contact us any time. www.fishingforheroes.com. Thank you
Remember one thing when you are offshore. You are no longer at the top of the food chain.
Cajunbob
cajunbob

Postby Terry G. » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Larry what Cajunbob is referencing in his statemet is from your RE="I'd like to help get a fishing for heroes chapter started here in MN."

there good people.
Terry G.
Terry G.

Postby cajunbob » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks Terry It has been a long day. we welcomed 3 soldiers home today.
Remember one thing when you are offshore. You are no longer at the top of the food chain.
Cajunbob
cajunbob

Postby sean.kerley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Larry, I'd like to return the favor, and send you a hat of mine. It's a Fourth Infantry Division ball cap (4ID is the unit I deployed with both times). Unfortunately, I can't get a new one (yuk, I know) but I'm sending you one that I've only worn once or twice, and I'll wash it before me and the other two Soldiers who are going to Rockport sign it. I don't know if you'll ever wear it or not, but it might be a pretty cool keepsake. (I just won't tell my Dad I shorted him on a hat willingly). If I send it to Dahlberg Productions' address, will it get to you? Anyway, your website got us hooked up with Terry G., who got us hooked up with fishing for heroes, who got us a Captain and a skiff for one day. I can't wait to see my son fishing the flats, and to eat some fresh trout with family and friends. Sure does beat the Mess Hall in Baghdad! Thanks again.
sean.kerley

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi C
I'd be very proud to wear it!
Let me know how your trip goes. I spoke with cajunbob tonight about helping get a chapter started in MN. Hope we can work it out!
The return address is my home/office, so it's the right address.
Have fun, and thanks in advance!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Terry G. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 am

SIMPLY "SUPER"!!!!

oh and Larry i also reworked the main picture on there web site of the emblems and boat.
Terry G.

Postby tomason » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm from the Texas Coast and fish the Rockport area quite a bit. Copano is loaded with shell reefs and good shorelines for reds, specks and flatties. I don't target the convicts (sheepies) but I'm sure you will catch a few if you fish the reefs. Buy yourself a map of the bays for the middle coast. When you get to Rockport, you can buy them at just about any tackle shop or Wal-Mart. The maps will show you were the reefs are located. Bring a cast net and try to catch some finger mullet, or go to a local bait shop and buy a couple quarts of live shrimp. Either of those baits free-lined under a popping cork around some reefs or shorelines will catch some fish, especially this time of year. The more saavy casters should throw a long topwater worked rather slow. A big zara super spook in bone color is a good bet this time of year when fishing over shell. Good luck on the trip.
tomason

Postby sean.kerley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks, Tomason...exactly the kind of information I need. I'll only be on the water for one day, the rest of the time will be from the backyard or the Copano Bay State Fishing Pier. But I'm definitely into throwing Spooks and Poppers. (will the trouts/reds bite poppers?) I'll also try a few different things from the house, but probably bait is the best bet from there...right on a channel, casting distance (maybe) to a submerged sandy hump...if I can cast to it, hopefully I'll pull some flounder off of it for the table. Should be loads of fun! Thanks again for the info...

tight lines
Chris
sean.kerley

Postby tomason » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 pm

common techniques for tops in texas is a walk the dog action. walk it 3-6 times then give it a short pause. change it up some until you find what they like. i have never tried poppers, but if they're bitin, they might hit it. i tend to throw larger plugs for trout and reds, but a super spook jr is in the arsenal as well when they're finicky. copano is big trout haunt in the winter and spring...you may luck out and catch a big un.
tomason

Postby sean.kerley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Well, the trip is over...what a blast! The fishing for heroes charter didn't pan out much, tough fishing JUST after a bad cold front that pushed all the trouts and redfish out deep. BUT, we got to see plenty of dolphins, had a cool time on the water, and I managed to get one trout in the boat. We also booked a flounder gigging trip which was incredible. We not only got a limit of flounder in just a couple of hours, but Phillip got to see all kinds of birds, jellyfish, trout, redfish, drum, sheepshead, and a gator that got a little bit ornery with us. (Mommy didn't get to see that video.) We also went out to the end of a jetty one day for sheepshead, and once we figured out how to get a hook in their mouth, we tore them up pretty hard. As many of you know, those things pull like a freight train, and are quite tasty fried or baked. The bottom line is, we all had a great time, and little Phillip got to play around with tons of fish that he's never seen before (and some that I haven't either). And one of my fellow Soldiers, David, had fun on his first ever fishing trip. Another one converted. Thanks to everyone for all the tips/advice, and if anyone has any plans to go to Rockport/Aransas, Texas to do some fishing, I have the phone numbers for a real good gigging guide, and a real good trout/redfish guide (even though he put us on to sheepshead instead).
Last edited by sean.kerley on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean.kerley

Postby Bionic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Sean glad you had a good time. Let me know how Korea is when you get there.

Scott
P.S. Feel free to e-mail me anytime
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Return to Saltwater Questions