Guatemala sailfish advice

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Guatemala sailfish advice

Postby rwalkerdds » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Larry, my wife and I are planning a trip to Guatemala next year at this time for sailfishing (my Valentine's gift to her). I am looking for your advice for a lodge/guide there. I have researched a little online Pacific Fins, Sailfish Bay, Casa Vieja, and Soleil Del Pacifico. In addition advice about the lodge I would like a recommendation for a captain within that outfit. Cost is always a consideration but not the only or the most important. I plan to use a fly rod and will need to use the outfits. Inspired by your show, I will bring a 7' 30-80 lb trevala and 300 curado with 50 lb braid on it!
Thanks for your advice. And thanks for your inspiration. I'd like to be in your shoes some day.
Sincerely,
Richard
rwalkerdds

Re: Guatemala sailfish advice

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi R
First off, all the guys down there are good. With as many encounters as they get down there you can't help but get good.
I like Casa Viejo. Nice clean intimate setting, great food, great staff, excellent boats crews and captains. I fished with Captain Eric Lorentsen (sp?) and would recommend him and his crew to anyone. He's smart, not fixed in his ways and a total professional in every respect, plus he's done the "bass tackle" deal with me and is hip to that program as well as fly fishing of course.
Capt Ron Hamlin, the most successful sailfish catcher in history and major influence in introducing circle hooks to sail fishing, also works out of there and obviously one can't go wrong with him either! I reckon he's got such good Karma that being within a quarter mile of him would have to bring you good luck!
Barring insane weather you cannot go wrong there. I guarantee it.
They've got all the conventional tackle you need, and it's all Shimano stuff and in tip top condition.
That's a great valentine, sure beats a box of chocolates!!!!

best regards,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Guatemala sailfish advice

Postby rwalkerdds » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 am

thanks larry, that's what I needed to hear.
rwalkerdds

Return to Saltwater Questions