wire for butteflt jigs

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

wire for butteflt jigs

Postby Anders » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:06 am

what can you do to keep from getting bit off by sharks, kings, wahoo, or any other toothy critter when butterfly jigging. Do you just put 6-12 of wire and then mono leader? what wire? will it mess up the jigging action? I've been told the only thing you can use is a swivel.

Do tuna care if you use a mono leader and not flouro? can you catch tuna with a wire leader like described above?
I fish for it all
Anders

Re: wire for butteflt jigs

Postby outtaline » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

you can use wire and I would use a swivel and flouro be sure to use stranded wire not single strand anr the proper crimps and crimping tool i do it all the time for grouper off of fortmyers I hate cudas
Go big or go home!
outtaline

Postby Bantam1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 am

Another thing to look at is the Titanium wire leaders. I think its called Tiger Wire but I'm sure there are a few others ont he market. You can tie knots with it so in my opinion its far superior to steel leaders. You do not need to crimp this or use a swivel.
Bantam1

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi All
I've done extensive testing with every kind of wire you can imagine and jumped on tiger wire when it was first introduced. It's a soft 49 strand, nylon coated wire is nice to work with but I've had it fail many times. In fact, I've had 30 pound golden dorados chop through 60# tigerwire like it was mono.
What ever you do, don't waste your money on titanium.
I'm absolutely certain the best wire for the job is 49 strand or 7x7 as it's called in some places with the appropriate crimps and crimper. It's quite flexible, does not kink easily and is very, very dependable. I think 90# is the lightest I've seen, and it's quite thin for it's strength. I usually use 90 with light tackle and 175 or or 275 with heavy stand-up gear.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions